Quick translation, hanzi, and minor information assistance

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby CK » Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:36 am

Uffern wrote:Can someone please define "hanzi" and "style" as used in the beginning of this thread?
Thanks in advance.

Hanzi means the chinese characters. Ie, words like Chen Gong are only the "pronounciation" for it but it would be written in different ways.

Style, I would interpret as the styled names of the various three kingdoms general. IE, those names bracketed.
Truth is always partial

Absense of dream creates nothing but dream creates absense if you do nothing
CK
Changshi

Unread postby Mega Zarak » Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:39 am

For more discussion on style-names, refer to http://the-scholars.com/viewtopic.php?t=3809
Mega Zarak
Grand Tutor of Wei

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:45 pm

To clarify on Madaboutck's post, things like Liu Bei are romanized ways of writing chinese names. Meaning that the original chinese characters are displayed using the Roman alphabet. In order to pronounce the words however, one needs the tone keys for each word. Such as Wu2, Wei1, Huang2 etc etc. The numbers behind each word tells you what the tone of the word should be when pronounced. Note that not all roman letters used this way are pronounced as they are in english.
Style names are on KMA:
http://www.kongming.net/novel/styles/
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Hidoshi » Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:49 pm

-nods- Be careful though. Often the problem with pinyin is it gives a broad pronunciation of the character, which usually is incorrect. "Zi" isn't pronounced that way at all. Most Westerners would look at it and go "Zee", when it's more "See" but with a very short "e" sound and almost a "t" sound before it. Wade-Giles took this into account and spelled it Tse or Tze, which is much closer to the actual pronunciation.

I've been screamed at on more than one occassion by my Chinese relatives for pronouncing things incorrectly based off pinyin. >_<

For reference to posts using Wade-Giles, since everyone else seems to use pinyin but myself, here's a chart for translating the words back and forth. It should also be noted that I use Han-tse instead of Hanzi.

http://www.library.ucla.edu/libraries/e ... table2.htm
Hidoshi
Assistant

Unread postby Yorak » Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:18 am

Is there a good pronunciation guide anywhere? Apparently Cao Cao isn't pronounced "Cow Cow" and Zhuge Liang isn't pronounced "Shoo-gay Lee-ang." And I'll be damned if I know how to pronounce "Xiahou."

Edit: Never mind, there's one in the post above me. Huzzah for me being stupid.
Last edited by Yorak on Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not even here
Yorak
Master

Unread postby Sun Siling » Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:39 am

This is not a real rtk character, but can anyone translate:

Sun Jin (Siling)
Huang Jin (thats my chinese name..no styles ^_^)
"Learn from the past, Live in the present, Plan for the future."
But sometimes you learn from friends too ^_^
Sun Siling
Academic

Unread postby James » Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:52 am

Quick question. Lady Wu was kind enough to point out an error in our Hanzi project, but her input program doesn't have the correct character. Can anyone show me it or post the decimal or Unicode value?

“And for Zhang He's style, Jun Yi, the Jun should look like 雋 with the left side of 俊 attached to its left. Sorry, my input program doesn't have it.” - Lady Wu
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby DarkAnthem » Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:43 am

James wrote:Quick question. Lady Wu was kind enough to point out an error in our Hanzi project, but her input program doesn't have the correct character. Can anyone show me it or post the decimal or Unicode value?

“And for Zhang He's style, Jun Yi, the Jun should look like 雋 with the left side of 俊 attached to its left. Sorry, my input program doesn't have it.” - Lady Wu

Here's the correct one: 儁
DarkAnthem
Master

Unread postby James » Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:04 am

DA identified Han Fu’s Zi as Wenjie 文节 earlier, but we were under the impression that his Zi was Yigong 易公. I was just wondering if anyone could clarify the sources for the various styles or maybe some background information so I know if he changed it at some point in his life, or if we have identified it as Yigong in error?

DarkAnthem wrote:Here's the correct one: 儁

Thank you very much. :)
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby DarkAnthem » Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:03 am

James wrote:DA identified Han Fu’s Zi as Wenjie 文节 earlier, but we were under the impression that his Zi was Yigong 易公. I was just wondering if anyone could clarify the sources for the various styles or maybe some background information so I know if he changed it at some point in his life, or if we have identified it as Yigong in error?

Actually, the Han Fu(韓福) bio we have here http://www.kongming.net/novel/kma/hanfu.php
is the one in SGYY guarding one of the passes in Guan Yu's journey back to Liu Bei,

While, Han Fu (韓馥)(Wen Jie) was the governor of Ji Zhou and not the one listed here.

So the Han Fu you asked about earlier doesn't have the Zi "Wenjie", sorry about the confusion. :(
DarkAnthem
Master

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium