Quick translation, hanzi, and minor information assistance

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Quick translation, hanzi, and minor information assistan

Unread postby Tarrot » Sat May 03, 2014 8:42 pm

Double-checking the bio it says Huanghe. Figured it was a dam, just wasn't sure if there was something special about the name or not. Thanks.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby capnnerefir » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:36 pm

I have a question about about a specific line in Pang Tong's SGZ (I don't know enough to find the actual characters that need translating, though).

The current translation here in KMA says:

"When he met him, Sima Hui was picking mulberries on top of a tree while Pang Tong was seated below. They talked from day to evening. [Sima] Hui considered him a very unusual person and convinced him to become an official in Nanzhou."

I'm wondering if "a very unusual person" is the best way to translate this part. That makes it sound like Sima Hui had a conversation with Pang Tong and came away thinking, "Man, that kid's weird." And if that's the way these characters should be read, that's fine. But I'm wondering if "very unusual" might be better translated as "unusually talented" or something like that.

Like I said, I don't know enough to get the actual characters that need translating, I'm just wondering if there's a better way to read this phrase.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jolt » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:37 pm

capnnerefir wrote:I have a question about about a specific line in Pang Tong's SGZ (I don't know enough to find the actual characters that need translating, though).

The current translation here in KMA says:

"When he met him, Sima Hui was picking mulberries on top of a tree while Pang Tong was seated below. They talked from day to evening. [Sima] Hui considered him a very unusual person and convinced him to become an official in Nanzhou."

I'm wondering if "a very unusual person" is the best way to translate this part. That makes it sound like Sima Hui had a conversation with Pang Tong and came away thinking, "Man, that kid's weird." And if that's the way these characters should be read, that's fine. But I'm wondering if "very unusual" might be better translated as "unusually talented" or something like that.

Like I said, I don't know enough to get the actual characters that need translating, I'm just wondering if there's a better way to read this phrase.

Un-usual can mean extra-ordinary. Still, considering English nuances, it might be best to change the word, but still when we know the source language comes from Chinese, it is not that difficult to reach what the word's intention is.
Jolt
Master

Unread postby capnnerefir » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:02 pm

I was hoping that someone could help translate this passage from Quan Zong's SGZ. It's appended at the end.

吴书曰:琮长子绪,幼知名,奉朝请,出授兵,稍迁扬武将军、牛渚督。孙亮即位,迁镇北将军。东关之役,绪与丁奉建议引兵先出,以破魏军,封一子亭侯,年四十四卒。次子寄,坐阿党鲁王霸赐死。小子吴,孙权外孙,封都乡侯。

As near as I can tell, it contains some information about his sons (Specifically Xu, Ji, and Wu) but I'm having difficulty with the details.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:05 pm

capnnerefir wrote:I was hoping that someone could help translate this passage from Quan Zong's SGZ. It's appended at the end.

吴书曰:琮长子绪,幼知名,奉朝请,出授兵,稍迁扬武将军、牛渚督。孙亮即位,迁镇北将军。东关之役,绪与丁奉建议引兵先出,以破魏军,封一子亭侯,年四十四卒。次子寄,坐阿党鲁王霸赐死。小子吴,孙权外孙,封都乡侯。

As near as I can tell, it contains some information about his sons (Specifically Xu, Ji, and Wu) but I'm having difficulty with the details.

The History of Wu: Cong's eldest son, Xu, was famous at a young age. He accepted the court's invitation to office and was granted military authority. In time, he was transferred to be General Who Manifests Might and Controller of Niuzhu. When Sun Liang took the throne, he was transferred to be General who Guards the North. During the battle of Dongguan, Xu and Ding Feng proposed to take the initiative and lead the army out, in order to rout the Wei army. One of his sons was made a 亭侯 (Marquis? Lord? of a district?). Xu died at the age of 44. Cong's second son, Ji, was granted death for being of the faction of Sun Ba, Prince of Lu. Cong's youngest son, Wu, was Sun Quan's daughter's son, and was made Marquis of Duxiang.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby capnnerefir » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:38 pm

Thank you. I appreciate the help. There's a bit more to say about Quan Xu than I thought, it seems. Though not a great deal.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby capnnerefir » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:34 am

I'm trying to figure out what, if anything, happened to Gu Tan after he was exiled to Jiao. He has a sub-biography attached to that of Gu Yong, but it's far too complicated for me to translate. I believe these last few lines explain something of his activities, but I'm not nearly skilled enough to figure out what.

譚坐徙交州,幽而發憤,著《新言》仁十篇。其《知難篇》蓋以自悼傷也。見流二年,年四十二,卒於交阯。
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TigerTally » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:15 am

Going into seclusion and studying hard, he compiled a book named New Words with 20 chapters, one of which is the chapter of "Knowing the Difficulties" used by him to lament over his own misfortune. Two years after banishment, at the age of 42, he perished at Jiaozhi.
TigerTally
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby capnnerefir » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:53 am

Thanks for the translation.

I'm actually pretty sorry to hear he died after such a short time. I sort of held out some hope that he was one of those who got to return to Jianye when Sun Xiu pardoned all who were exiled through politics, but I guess that was too optimistic of me. Ah well. At least he got some writing done.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby capnnerefir » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:47 pm

I could use some help with a bit from Du Yu's Jinshu biography. This is a line discussing his father, Du Shu.

其父與宣帝不相能,遂以幽死,故預久不得調。
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium