Red Hare

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Red Hare

Unread postby Jiang Zhi » Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:59 pm

This is an impossible horse. Considering how long a horse can live, think about this:

1) Dong Zhuo had this horse initially and was given to Lu Bu - by then, since it's a war horse, it's pretty full grown :P The year is 189

2) Cao Cao gives the horse to Guan Yu, the year is 200

3) Guan Yu dies, then the horse dies...220 is the year.....

If I did my math right, it's 31 years from Dong Zhuo gives the horse to Lu Bu to when Guan Yu dies with it.....and besides, it's not a pony that Dong Zhuo gives Lu Bu.....now, consider the average lifespan of a horse? :P
Jiang Zhi of Foshan, style Maodi
~*!越武帝!*~ - 我愛我的妻子孫尚香!
Nan Hai, Jiaozhou

Laconius Arts and Design My Rot3K fanfiction
Jiang Zhi
Sun Shang Xiang's puppy-eyed slave

Unread postby Dragon God » Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:40 am

most horses live from 25-40. Red Hare could still be healthy and alive at 31.

Anyways SGYY is a novel, not everything happened.
Dragon God
Apprentice

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Thu Feb 13, 2003 9:45 am

Dragon God wrote:most horses live from 25-40. Red Hare could still be healthy and alive at 31.

Anyways SGYY is a novel, not everything happened.

I agree. I live in a state famous for it's horses (Kentucky), and I know for a fact that plenty of horses live past the age of 31. It is debatable on how good he could've performed after all those years though, I'm sure he was no longer near as fast or have as much endurance as he did when he was a young colt. Also, if you add in the factor of all the battles he'd been ridden in, it becomes more and more farfetched that Red Hare was really as great as suggested.
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby Jiang Zhi » Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:05 pm

Remember, it also takes time to train the horse, for it to grow from a horse to a pony and time for it to gain the reputation so that Lu Bu liked him :P let's put like 5 or 6 years in front ;)
Jiang Zhi of Foshan, style Maodi
~*!越武帝!*~ - 我愛我的妻子孫尚香!
Nan Hai, Jiaozhou

Laconius Arts and Design My Rot3K fanfiction
Jiang Zhi
Sun Shang Xiang's puppy-eyed slave

Unread postby Erdrick » Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:10 am

True; on the other hand, we don't hear about the magnificient Red Hare much past the 1000 Li Journey; he was probably ridden by Guan Yu throughout the time, but hell, Yunchang wasn't a spring chicken anymore either. And, if you'd be wondering why Sun Quan would take the horse if he wasn't a magnificent riding steed anymore, one would should answer it- stud. When a great horse is done being great, you put him out to pasture to make you little version of the great one.
Erdrick
Sage

Unread postby rcsha » Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:39 am

Also take note that when Guan Yu fought Pang De, the latter was able to catch up to Guan Yu. Showing that the Red Hare probably wasn't in it's prime any longer.

So you see, it's entirely possible that the Red-Hare could have remaind alive and strong, but not as strong as when Lu Bu rode him. Plus Red-Hare was really looked at with being in it's prime during Guan Yu's ownership...when Lu Bu rode him, very little was said of it's abilities aside from the famous Lu Bu & Red-Hare poem and Li Su's bragging of it.
Dickjutsu.com
The Bruce Lee of Dickery.
rcsha
Ao Kaio Nankou

Unread postby Zhao Yun of Changshan » Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:24 am

Yea what everyone else said. Red Hare could have lived probably a few more years and then died. Maybe its just one of those special things or rare occurences that happen every some number or generations or something like that for example that white buffalo inccident.
"None dare to engage the warrior at Dangyang....."
Zhao Yun of Changshan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Elemental » Sat Feb 22, 2003 2:43 am

Red Hare could have been exagerated, or Fictional. I have also read somewhere that Red Hare was alot taller than normal horses.
The only people you have to get back are those who have done you good...
Elemental
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ender » Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:00 am

http://www.threekingdoms.com/ wrote:Lu Bu bade his guards lead out the horse. It was of a uniform color like glowing-sun red---not a hair of another color. It measured ten spans from head to tail and from hoof to neck eight spans. When it neighed, the sound filled the empyrean and shook the ocean.

Not sure of what the measurements mean but there they are.
"Tell me not in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
And things are not what they seem."
-- Longfellow
Ender
Wandering Darkness

Unread postby Asellas » Sat Feb 22, 2003 12:55 pm

If there can be no red horses now like red hare then how do we know he was red?It could have been a chestnut horse as they do look red in the day but i think it was exaddurated and it's lifspan.Sure horses can live between 20-40years but in them days i say it really only could have lived for about 10-20 years.
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium