Guan Yu With Wei

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Guan Yu With Wei

Unread postby Zhou Tai » Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:43 pm

Im just wondering how you all think of the time that Guan Yu was with Wei, had Cao Cao kill Guan Yu, then Jing in the later years would be eventually weaker?

We all know that he fought for Wei at Guan Du, and killed Wen Chou and Yan Liang, but when did he find the whereabouts of Liu Bei.

What and How many gifts did Cao give Guan? (Red Hare, the robe)

Did anyone else form a friendship with Guan like Xu Huang and Zhang Liao from Wei.

Would you of agreed to Guan's 3 terms for surrender?

Basically Id like to know more info. during this time. But thought a discussion would also be good.
What? Am I suppose to impress you with a phrase. ><
Zhou Tai
Scholar

Unread postby rcsha » Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:49 pm

Had Cao Cao killed Guan Yu back when he served Cao Cao, then Liu Bei would not have prospered as much as he did.

Tecnically he only killed one of them, historically. He heard about Liu Bei serving Yuan Shao from...Jian Yong I believe.

Cao Cao gave Guan Yu the following gifts (among others):
*The Red Hare
*Lordship Title (Lord of Han Shou precinct)
*New Clothes
*Lots of Gold, Silver, and Taels
*Jewels such as jade and pearls
*Bolts of silk cloth and clothes.

Those were the basic ones mentioned in SGYY.

Not sure, Zhang Liao and Xu Huang knew Guan Yu from before he served Cao Cao. f I remember correctly they were all from the same province.

Guan Yu's three terms were as thus:
*Serve Emperor Xian, not Cao Cao.
*Protect Liu Bei's wives.
*Allow him to leave when he found Liu Bei.
Yes I would have accepted these terms. If nothin else I could have tricked him or killed him if I didn't like what was going on.

Are these answers sufficient?
Dickjutsu.com
The Bruce Lee of Dickery.
rcsha
Ao Kaio Nankou

Unread postby Asellas » Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:56 pm

Why didn't Cao keep Red Hare? :wink:
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby Ender » Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:05 am

He wanted to impress Guan Yu so he would stay with him. But when Cao gave Guan the horse it backfired and Guan kept the horse and thanked Cao because Red Hare could get Guan to Liu Bei faster. Red Hare was the only gift Guan kept just because it could get him faster to Liu Bei.
"Tell me not in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
And things are not what they seem."
-- Longfellow
Ender
Wandering Darkness

Unread postby Sam » Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:12 am

Guan Ping wrote:Why didn't Cao keep Red Hare? :wink:

Simple: Cao Cao thought that if he gave Guan Yu such a great gift as the magnificent steed Red Hare, that he would surely defect and serve him loyally instead of Liu Bei. However, Guan Yu merely felt that this was a way for him to get to Liu Bei quicker, and didn't persuade him in the slightest to join Cao. The period of time in which Guan Yu spent with Cao is one of the prime reasons he is seen as a God of war in China, as his loyalty to Liu Bei never altered, despite the numerous gifts and wealth Cao had to offer him. I would also like to add that Guan Yu only ever killed Yan Liang, not Wen Chou. And that he killed Yan Liang through him taking him by surprise, as Yan Liang never had the chance to defend himself. Other then that, rscha has pretty much covered your question throughout.
Otherwise known as Wang Ping (Zijun)
Sam
Sweeper of Invaders

Unread postby Mengdez New Book » Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:37 am

Wang Zijun wrote:The period of time in which Guan Yu spent with Cao is one of the prime reasons he is seen as a God of war in China, as his loyalty to Liu Bei never altered, despite the numerous gifts and wealth Cao had to offer him.

Hum...i thought he was God of loyalty (Zhong Yi, Yi Qi) ? That's why at Hong Kong today most police and gangsters ( :lol: ) pray for him.

I think we missed out beautiful ladies and ceremonies (Eating stuff, don't know how to mention in English :wink: ) that Cao Cao gave. Gosh, i do want to be Guan Yu. :twisted:
Mengdez New Book
No Title

Unread postby Zhou Tai » Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:41 pm

Did Wen Chou die from Natural Causes then?, or was he killed by another Wei officer?
What? Am I suppose to impress you with a phrase. ><
Zhou Tai
Scholar

Unread postby Starscream » Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:05 pm

Zhou Tai wrote:Did Wen Chou die from Natural Causes then?, or was he killed by another Wei officer?

Wen Chou died in battle that Guan Yu was involved in but Guan Yu was not recorded to have killed him personally.
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Lu Fengxian » Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:11 am

You forgot that Cao Cao also gave Guan Yu a bag to place aroung his beard to protect it. Guan Yu also kept that.
At that moment Li Ru spotted a man standing behind Ding Yuan, a massive presence that inspired a shiver of awe. The man was clenching a figured halberd with two side blades, his eyes filled with anger.
Lu Fengxian
Assistant

Unread postby Sam » Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:56 pm

Lu Fengxian wrote:You forgot that Cao Cao also gave Guan Yu a bag to place aroung his beard to protect it. Guan Yu also kept that.

It is only mentioned that he used that certain 'bag' to protect his beard through the winter whilst he was with Cao Cao, as the time he spent with Cao went into winter. There is no mention of him actually taking the 'bag' with him.
Otherwise known as Wang Ping (Zijun)
Sam
Sweeper of Invaders

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium