Could Yuan Shao have conquered China?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Mengdez New Book » Sat Jan 18, 2003 1:03 am

If he changed his attitude, he can conquer the whole China. Anyway, Yan Liang and Wen Chou maybe do have their credibilty, it is unlikely for both of them to be the top generals in Yuan's side when Zhang He around. Still, maybe they both closed to Yuan Shao such like Guan Yu and Zhang Fei to Liu Bei. That's why Zhao Yun has been 'forgotten'.
Mengdez New Book
No Title

Unread postby Asellas » Sun Jan 19, 2003 5:23 pm

Sun Seth wrote:Yes, he could have. Yuan Shao had a much larger force than Cao Cao, and if he listened to his advisors, and if his sons weren't disunified he could have. Just like what happened at Guan Du. If he would have won, pretty much all of Cao's territory would fall to Shao, and just play Yuan Shao as if he were Cao Cao. Yuan Shao certainly had more lineage and authority to the land rather than Cao Cao, because of his noble name, Yuan.
Tat's right but Yuan Shoa didn't take the opportunities he had i don't know what but he did have some.
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby Wizardman » Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:03 pm

I don't think Yuan Shao could've conquered China. Most of his strategists always throught differently, and does he have any other good generals besides Yan Liang and Wen Chou? You need more then two to win a dynasty. If he won Guan Du, then he may have had a chance to at least get some of Cao Cao's men, but it would probably just end up being the Four Kingdoms.
Huang Zhong: Are you calling me old?!
Wei Yan: ...Yes.
Huang Zhong: Liu Bei! I demand you kill him!
Liu Bei: Well it's... true...
Wizardman
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Antiochus » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:52 am

I dont think Yuan Shao had the intelligence to win the land. He lost to Cao Cao when all odds were on his side. He was also arrogant and was not able to use his advisors in a clever way.

And for is good generals, Yan Kiang and Wen Chou... I belive that they put them really strong in the book because they wanted to Show that Guan Yu was able to defeat any great warriors.
Antiochus
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Devilrai » Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:23 am

Yuan Shao had the army to conquer China but in the end he could not even if he did his reign would last no longer than Dong Zhuos because though Yuan Shao was a bright man, but he was not bright enough to understand. For Example he put Tian Feng into jail because if his strategy, so Yuan Shao would not hold China for long, or he never could have.
Devilrai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Han Liang » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:01 pm

Yuan Shao could not have conquered China. Someone else in Yuan Shao's position could have conquered China. How about... Sun Quan?
Han Liang
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord Sun Ce » Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:08 am

He would have conquered definetly. Especially with the added forces of Cao Cao.
Sun Tzu: Disorder coming from order is a matter of organization, fear coming from courage is a matter of force, weakness coming from strength is a matter of formation.
Lord Sun Ce
Initiate

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium