Liu Bei successor's conflict, what do you think?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Starscream » Sun Jan 19, 2003 2:16 am

Ender wrote:Shu Han was screwed both ways. Liu Shan takes control, he does the most stupit things anyone could do. Liu Feng takes over Liu Shan gets mad and splits Shu into two and fights Feng. Both way's Shu was going to be destroyed.

I disagree. If Liu Feng took over, I doubt Liu Shan would take any actions, judging from how promptly he surrendered his father's kingdom to Sima Zhao when Cheng Du was invaded. :lol:

Maybe Liu Feng might make a more capable ruler (to a certain extent), but his legitimacy would plague him throughout his reign. Ministers might petition for the rightful heir to be enstated, although Liu Shan would be a reluctant competitor! :lol:
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Ender » Sun Jan 19, 2003 2:21 am

Cai Yan wrote:I disagree. If Liu Feng took over, I doubt Liu Shan would take any actions, judging from how promptly he surrendered his father's kingdom to Sima Zhao when Cheng Du was invaded.

Yeah I thought that as I wrote it but I just left it. Liu Shan didn't have the spirt to do such a thing. Liu Feng could have held Shu togeather for longer so I do belive Liu Bei shouldn't have killed him. But put yourself in Liu Bei's shoes, I would kill him too if he lead to the death of somone so close.
"Tell me not in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
And things are not what they seem."
-- Longfellow
Ender
Wandering Darkness

Unread postby Starscream » Sun Jan 19, 2003 2:34 am

Ender wrote:Yeah I thought that as I wrote it but I just left it. Liu Shan didn't have the spirt to do such a thing. Liu Feng could have held Shu togeather for longer so I do belive Liu Bei shouldn't have killed him. But put yourself in Liu Bei's shoes, I would kill him too if he lead to the death of somone so close.

Liu Bei was a person without much long-term planning, hence he adopted Liu Feng! In the end, he regretted his actions and had to find means to remove this extra contestant. It was most unfortunate, but since Liu Bei treated wives and children like clothes, it's a predictable act! :lol:
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Mengdez New Book » Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:35 pm

Cai Yan wrote:Liu Bei was a person without much long-term planning, hence he adopted Liu Feng! In the end, he regretted his actions and had to find means to remove this extra contestant. It was most unfortunate, but since Liu Bei treated wives and children like clothes, it's a predictable act! :lol:

So we can say that's price he should paid for treated his wives and children like clothes. Really a heavy price, the lost of Jing Zhou, the lost of Guan Yu, the lost of Zhang Fei, the lost of Yi Ling war and most important, the lost of his own life. :?
Mengdez New Book
No Title

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium