Friendly Discussion about Guan Yu

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Do you think Guan Yu was a great person?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes : 48

Re: Friendly Discussion about Guan Yu

Unread postby Lu Kang » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:16 pm

Hannibal ad portas wrote:Well i agree that his reply to Huang Zhong's promotion(i think thats who you meant?) was a load of tosh, and was quite arrogant on his part, but his reply to Ma Chao was one through being underconfident imo. Him showing Zhuge Liang's letter to everyone is a sign of an underconfident man, lacking in self-esteem. Theres no evidence , and no proof that my opinion is correct, but is there enough evidence to prove Guan Yu was blinded by arrogance?

Yes, it was Huang Zhong who I meant. I don't really agree with you on the point about Ma Chao but there are clear indicators without such evidence. His contemporaries certain knew much more than the histories hold and the general concensus was that he was overly arrogant. Lu Xun himself made grand plans and actions based on such knowledge. It was so common that they knew in Wu qiute well. Chen Shou himself in his comments on Guan Yu notes that he was arrogant. Seeing as Chen Shou is probably one of the more knowledgable people on the era and Lu Xun was a careful planner, their assessments of Guan Yu stand much stronger than saying, "I don't see much evidence" in what is clearly only a brief overview of his life. Also considering that Lu Xun's plan based on this worked flawless further backs up that he was quite correct when he sized up Guan Yu.
无口为天,有口为吴,君临万邦,天子之都
Historical Post
Lu Kang
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lonely_dragon » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:52 am

Guan Yu is a great person. A man of honor, courage, kindness... Though he is also arrogant. But still I think his arrogance is not at the scale with that of Huang Zu. :D

I kind of remember a word from Ace Combat Zero the one that Pixy said to the Demon Lord (the main ace):
"After you have survived in many battles, you might've think that you're invincible. I bet you're like that too buddy..."

Perhaps this is what happened to Guan Yu? :?
"Know yourself Know your enemy you can win 100 battles, Know yourself and know not the enemy find win and defeat in equal measures, Know not yourself and know not the enemy defeated in every battle." Sun Tzu
Lonely_dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby tofu » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:50 pm

Lonely_dragon wrote:Guan Yu is a great person. A man of honor, courage, kindness... Though he is also arrogant. But still I think his arrogance is not at the scale with that of Huang Zu. :D :?

Yey, I agree. I think that Guan Yu's good virtues far outweigh his flaws. :)
"His head looks as though it was stuck on a pole for sale," said Guan Yu, just glancing over the army at his feet.

"O green-eyed boy! O purple-bearded rat! Do you know me?"
tofu
Scholar

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium