Xu Shu or Guo Jia?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Xu Shu or Guo Jia?

Xu Shu "Shan Fu"
35%
Guo Jia
65%

Total votes : 66

Unread postby Wu Chun » Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:07 pm

I dont think you can compare the two, One is more based on battles in the front small ruses and little vitorys (Xu shu)

While the other advised on conquested and greater schemes
Guo Jia
The rise and fall of an empire can be won by many soldiers, or just one woman

Know thy enemy and know thy self

Man who go in airport sideway will go to bangkok
Come to my banquet! it will be fun!
Wu Chun
Academic

Unread postby Ma Zhi Xuan » Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:17 pm

Wu Chun wrote:I dont think you can compare the two, One is more based on battles in the front small ruses and little vitorys (Xu shu)

While the other advised on conquested and greater schemes
Guo Jia

They were both strategists trying to guide their lord to victory and advising them how to do it, of course you can compare them.

I'm not sure who'd I'd choose. Novel-wise I'd choose Xu Shu as he was a warrior and a tactical strategist as well, although had to leave because of his mother. But apparently in history he left Liu Bei at Chang Ban for Cao Cao in battle, presumingly because Liu Bei was losing, showing he was not as loyal and honourable as he is portrayed in the novel, so historically I'd prefer to have Guo Jia.
Ma Zhi Xuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: In the Symphony of Destruction. Clashing the cymbols.

Unread postby Big Blu » Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:22 pm

Novelly, Xu Shu, i mean both were good, and never got a chance to prove themselves, but I like Xu Shu.
I'm a lone wolf who got lost from the pack, and although he puts on a feirce face, he's still looking for his pack.
Big Blu
Sage

Unread postby Huang Bob » Thu May 05, 2005 8:07 pm

I felt a need to revive this because I had a discussion about Xu Shu with a friend of mine last night.

Even though I'm a Shuist, I voted Guo Jia. He proved more than capable in the 37 years he was alive. Xu Shu on the other hand...:roll: All we have on him is a made up battle against Cao Ren to make him look intellegent, and the fact that he did little for Wei. We don't really know if he's a capable commander or just a minister, whereas Guo Jia greatly helped Cao Cao territory-wise and as a minsiter.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Huang Bob
United Abominations

Unread postby MarvelousLingTong!!!!!! » Thu May 05, 2005 8:24 pm

I cant think of Xu Shu doing much so i would have to go with Guo Jia.
"Nooooooooo hot sexy wife!!!" - Martin Schean
MarvelousLingTong!!!!!!
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Thu May 05, 2005 10:28 pm

In the novel Guo Jia was basicly the Wei version of Zhuge Liang except he didn't lead armies. Xu Shu was in one battle(maybe two) i believe and he did very well. Novelwise Guo Jia wins easily.
Historically Xu Shu really didn't do anything besides recomend Zhuge Liang. He defected during Chang Ban and continued doing nothing.
I cannot find any bios which speak alot about Guo Jia. I do have a link to a letter that Cao Cao wrote to Xun Yu about how wonderful Guo Jia was and how he was better then everyone else http://www.enweiusa.com/culture_en/lddj/1_25/4.htm
but no one has translated his biography because i think there are alot of petitions or something and it is a pain in the ass to translate. So i will vote Guo Jia again for history.
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby aznboi217 » Fri May 06, 2005 1:10 am

I'd Pick Guo Jia.
Also do you guys know what Xu Shu accomplished historically?
Liu Bei took the child but threw it aside angrily, saying, "To preserve that suckling I very nearly lost a great general!"
aznboi217
Apprentice

Unread postby SixWingGryffin » Fri May 06, 2005 2:13 am

I don't know about that, but I think Guo Jia accomplished more, and was quite a resourceful strategist. Xu Shu had a single battle against Cao Ren. That's about it, aside from nominating a friend of his. (Something Xun Yu did, only for far more people.)
If you want an enjoyable roleplaying experience, try Si Guo Saga! Regardless of experience level, we'd love to see you there! A great place to try roleplaying for the first time.
SixWingGryffin
Sage

Location: Gamblin' in Havana, I took a little risk. Send lawyers, guns, and money, and get me outta this!

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri May 06, 2005 8:16 am

I would prefer someone who didn't abondan me and who had talent so easily Jia. Jia was overated but still showed some skill
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Big J » Fri May 06, 2005 8:19 am

i prefer Guo Jia in-game, all I really know about them.
Big J
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium