Xu Shu or Guo Jia?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Xu Shu or Guo Jia?

Xu Shu "Shan Fu"
35%
Guo Jia
65%

Total votes : 66

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Fri Jan 10, 2003 9:28 am

I would pick Guo Jia, as he did far more for Cao Cao than Xu Shu did for Zhuge Liang. As far as ability, nobody really knows if Xu Shu was as great as he's described to be in the novel, but even then he doesn't really do much. Possibly the greatest thing he does is tell Liu Bei about Kongming. All Guo Jia did was help destroy the Yuans and consolidate Cao Cao's power in the north...
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby DarkAnthem » Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:42 pm

Xu Shu defeating Cao Ren never happened in history, so it's hard to say anything about his military abilities. Guo Jia wasn't able to do much because he died early on, but Xu Shu didn't, he still had a chance to perform under Cao Cao after leaving Liu Bei. In the novel he had a good reason to not give any advice to Cao Cao, since he was tricked into going to Cao Cao and his mom committed suicide after that. However, historically he went to Cao during Chang Ban. He had no good excuse to do absolutely nothing for Cao Cao in history (since he joined willingly), so the fact that he never had any accomplishments indicates that he was not capable of it. His filial loyalty to his mother showed that he perhaps valued his personal relations more than fighting for his lord, and that may be the reason he didn't try hard to accomplish anything, but still there's no proof that he was very capable.
DarkAnthem
Master

Unread postby Mystpounder » Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:10 pm

Guo Jia was the reason CaoCao became so big. Caocao wondered about how to get his kingdom up and running, Guo Jia said "Attack Yuan Shao".

At that time, Yuan Shao was a superpower and everyone feared him. Caocao being the trustworthy guy he is, trusted Guo Jia. If it was't for Guo Jia's idea and his plans for burning Yuan Shao's provisions,

Yuan Shao's 600000 troops wouldn't fall to Cao Cao's 50000 troops.
1 man.........1 sword............1 death.
Mystpounder
Langzhong

Unread postby TheGreatNads » Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:43 pm

Mystpounder wrote:Guo Jia was the reason CaoCao became so big. Caocao wondered about how to get his kingdom up and running, Guo Jia said "Attack Yuan Shao".

At that time, Yuan Shao was a superpower and everyone feared him. Caocao being the trustworthy guy he is, trusted Guo Jia. If it was't for Guo Jia's idea and his plans for burning Yuan Shao's provisions,

Yuan Shao's 600000 troops wouldn't fall to Cao Cao's 50000 troops.

For once I agree with you. If Cao Cao hadn't defeated Yuan Shao he probably never would of become the powerful leader he became. I think someone else would have destroyed Yuan Shao anyway. He was a fool.(Or at least he seemed like it.) And so the credit goes to Guo Jia. Of course Xu Shu didn't actually do that much, so I wouldn't even consider ranking him above to Guo Jia.
TheGreatNads
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Guan Zhi Sun of Guan Yu » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:08 am

I got to say Xu Shu. I think he was smarter than the average bear plus he was a man that not only had talent in advising he also had talent in some swordmenship and fighting. Even though Gou Jia was smarter, Xu Shu was a more all around kind of guy.
Why do you cower to death. Nothing lasts forever.

Why should you be consumed by darkness when the light is still shining.
Guan Zhi Sun of Guan Yu
Assistant

Unread postby Exar Kun » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:55 pm

Guo Jia.
Guo Jia didn't do a great deal but he achieved more than Xu Shu for sure.
When Zhuge saw the city Xu Shu was made governor of he remarked on how badly it was administered.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby TheMightyXuHuang » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:56 pm

xu shu was much more "hands on"
TheMightyXuHuang
Assistant

Unread postby Destiny Edge » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:17 pm

If Guo Jia showed that much talent in his short life, imagine what he could've done with that mass of potential had he lived longer.

I go Guo Jia. One of my favourite characters in the book, one of the few men who I actually felt sad about when he died. It's easy to call anyone overrated when enough people compliment them, but I don't think the term applies to Guo Jia. The man was impressive.

My vote, if you couldn't guess, goes to Guo Jia.
Crafty Heroes > Able Subjects
Destiny Edge
Student

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:51 am

Guo Jia no doubt about it. He did much more than Xu Shu. He helped so much in the early campaigns, and people say he is overrated. Look at all he accomplished. He got rid of the Yuan brothers from beyond the grave.
Oh my my, oh hell yes, your gettin buried in your party dress.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jong Quo » Sat Jun 19, 2004 1:47 pm

I Would have to say Guo Jia, just a better strategist..
Favourite DW 4 Quotes:
Wei Yan: Death... Impossible!
Dong Zhou: Another Insect, Crushed!!
Dian Wei: Alright, Who's Next!!
Huang Zhong: Another victory for Huang Zhong!!
Jong Quo
Langzhong

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium