If Guan Yu had not died

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Rurouni Kenshin » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:02 pm

Well this is my opinion. Zhang Fei might not have gone out for revenge, whereby preventing his death. Liu Bei wouldn't have gone out to battle also preventing his death.

Guan Yu would probably slay Lu Meng with his own hands rather than spiritually. However I do have some doubts as to how he could have survived. Perhaps he shouldn't have had Zhou Cang and Liao Hua guard the gates. But maybe one of the two would have died and Liao Hua would be dead and might not be able to happen at Jiang Wei's successful campaign(like his only one lol).

But what also might have happened? Liu Bei might have continued to attack Wei and force them into submission with such influence, rather than go after Wu. So there are many things that would happen, its just there are too many to name and one event could change alot.
A beautiful face can win popularity, but a beautiful hand can win respect.

~Which one do you prefer?~

"I've killed a helluva lotta people to get to this one. And now, I'm gonna Kill Bill"
Rurouni Kenshin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Antiochus » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:11 am

If Guan Yu had not died, Liu Bei would not have made this crazy attack on wu, which killed Zhang Fei (in my opinon, the best Shu warrior and general) and many others such as Huang Zhong, SHu and wu could have won agaist wei and then... well it might be like in dynasty tactics 2 kingdoms ending... or a final war and then a victory for one of the 2 kingdoms...
Antiochus
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shadowlink » Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:56 pm

If guan yU did not die Zhang fei will never die, Yiling will never happen, Huang Zhong will never die and Wu and shu will have a peaceful alliance :lol:
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Elven Fury » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:08 am

well zhang fei wouldve been killed still probably... but otherwise they wouldve had 4 of 5 tigers b/c huang zhong wouldnt died most likely and liu bei wouldnt have died either... shu wouldve had an extra 500000 men and they couldve held up to deng ai better and probably won...
GO SHU!!!
It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others - other people, other beliefs, and other nations - will help you become whole.
Elven Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Han Liang » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:57 am

He'd still be alive. Duh.
:D I crack myself up. It would be cool to have a firsthand POV from Guan Yu. Then againg, there'd be no god, Guan Gong.
Han Liang
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby White Horse General » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:49 pm

Zilong of Shu wrote:If guan yU did not die Zhang fei will never die, Yiling will never happen, Huang Zhong will never die and Wu and shu will have a peaceful alliance :lol:

actually historically I believe Huang Zhong died of old age before Guan Yu was killed, I remember reading a back note in my copy of the book stating Huang Zhong actually died of old age shortly after recieveing the title of Tiger General, LGZ just increased his life spand to I suppose give him a more heroic death.
Sings we a dance of wolves;
Who smell fear and slay a coward.
Sings we a dance of man;
Who smells gold and slays his brother.
White Horse General
Master

Unread postby Shadowlink » Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:44 pm

Hey if Guan Yu did not die Guan Ping will not die, Zhou Cang and the others too
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:27 pm

Should Guan Yu escape then he would probably not be made a God. Other then that, Liu Bei would retake Jing but he might not push on to destroy Wu and instead attack Wei. Guan Yu would die in 10-15 years anyway
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sima Hui » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:56 pm

Guan Yu could do a lot in those 10-15 years. :wink:

In the end though, it isn't really down to the loss of one man. Guan Yu's death was unfortunate, but the loss of Jing meant that Liu Bei couldn't muster as many supplies or troops as before. Jing was also a good position for launching an attack on the Central Plains and ultimately Xuchang. Guan Yu and his clique would have been useful, but without Jing, Shu was little better off with them.
This topic is an affront to both The Man and The Son of the Man.

-Ts'aoist

Ssuma I sucks.
He was okay when he was an obedient slave of The Man.

-Ts'aoist

Join the Cult and receive the True and Holy Word of The Man.
Sima Hui
Cult of Ts'aoist

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:08 pm

If Guan Yu hadn't died then he would be right there along side Liu Bei as he attaked Wu along with Zhang Fei. The attack would still have happened however with the combined talents of Liu Bei, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei things could have turned out quite diffrently. Zhang Fei was getting pretty crafty by this time shown by his recuitment of Yan Yan and his defeat of Zhang He one of Wei's greats. Of course if Guan Yu didn't die then Wu might have been more receptive to the idea of returning some land without fighting. Sun Quan feared Guan Yu and fought him mainly on Lu Meng's urgings with Lu Meng dead Sun Quan would be terrified of Guan Yu leading the counterattack.
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium