If Guan Yu had not died

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

If Guan Yu had not died

Unread postby Shadowlink » Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:02 pm

What happen if he did not died? If Liu Bei return the city to Sun Quan Guan Yu will have never died and Zhang Fei will not get himself drunk and all the 200,000 something soldiers inside that city will not died. They can use the soldiers to fight Cao Cao.
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Asellas » Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:53 pm

I kinda agree with you.However if new leaders made history and Lui Bei died by Cao Cao guan yu might have broke the brothers oath.So it least they died as brothers ,eg in peach gardens '' we were not born on the same day but may we die the same day and the same time''.
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby Ender » Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:41 pm

Had Guan Yu not been killed then Liu Bei probably would have allied with Wu and togeather they might have destroyed the kingdom of Wei. Zhang Fei and Liu Bei would have lived longer and possably Zhuge Liang since he wouldn't have so much pressure. But after the distruction of Wei it would have turned to a power struggle between Wu and Shu. Sima Yi and his sons may still have done what they did anyway just under a different kingdom. It just goes to show you how one event can change all of history.
"Tell me not in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
And things are not what they seem."
-- Longfellow
Ender
Wandering Darkness

Unread postby Shadowlink » Tue Jan 14, 2003 8:28 pm

Yeah and they will not be much pressure on guan xing and zhang bao. zHang Fei will not get himself drunk because for guan yu.
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Jiang Zhi » Wed Jan 15, 2003 12:41 am

Hmmm, Wei will still be a difficult obstacle but.....Wu and Shu together, might succeed.....but Wu can't even take Hefei......
Jiang Zhi of Foshan, style Maodi
~*!越武帝!*~ - 我愛我的妻子孫尚香!
Nan Hai, Jiaozhou

Laconius Arts and Design My Rot3K fanfiction
Jiang Zhi
Sun Shang Xiang's puppy-eyed slave

Unread postby TheGreatNads » Wed Jan 15, 2003 1:50 am

Guan Ping wrote:I kinda agree with you.However if new leaders made history and Lui Bei died by Cao Cao guan yu might have broke the brothers oath.So it least they died as brothers ,eg in peach gardens '' we were not born on the same day but may we die the same day and the same time''.

Actually that doesn't matter, because I recently found out historically that Guan Yu, Liu Bei, and Zhang Fei didn't actually swear brotherhood.

Zhugeliang wrote:Yeah and they will not be much pressure on guan xing and zhang bao. zHang Fei will not get himself drunk because for guan yu.

I believe these two didn't actually do much in history either.
TheGreatNads
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby KINGSHAMOKE71 » Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:15 am

Guan Xing was a politician who was favored by Kongming. Zhang Bao was a normal warrior who died very young. Neither did much worth mentioning.
- "No Han general would ever submit to the dogs of Wu." Fu Tong. This general of Han did his title proud.
KINGSHAMOKE71
Initiate

Unread postby TheGreatNads » Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:00 am

Wow, I had no idea Guan Xing was a politician. I know you said both didn't do anything worth mentioning, but do you know if Zhang Bao was actually involved in any battles?
TheGreatNads
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: If Guan Yu did not died.

Unread postby Mengdez New Book » Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:33 am

Zhugeliang wrote:What happen if he did not died? If Liu Bei return the city to Sun Quan Guan Yu will have never died and Zhang Fei will not get himself drunk and all the 200,000 something soldiers inside that city will not died. They can use the soldiers to fight Cao Cao.

Well, nothing wll happen. All the three kingdoms at that time were stable, it was quite difficult for them to conquer each of them. Maybe these alliance really threatening Wei but Wei should has way to break it.
Mengdez New Book
No Title

Unread postby Jeffro » Wed Jan 15, 2003 6:02 am

hmm, I dunno... If Guan Yu didn't die, chances are that he would have died of old age 10 or 15 years after... its hard to say what adding that many years could have done for liu bei and zhang fei... But chances are the period of stability between the kingdoms would have lasted longer- I mean, after Yi Ling and Liu Bei's death, things started getting chaotic, so who knows what might've happened.
Jeffro
Initiate

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium