Sun Quan’s Hair Color

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Sun Quan’s Hair Color

Unread postby Shao » Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:18 pm

i am curious about sun quan's hair color. some people say he got red hair. other say he got purple hair. which one is true? :?:

to me, i think he got red hair. :-)
Shao
Academic

Unread postby Wen Choung » Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:18 pm

Hmm...As far as I know, Sun Quan was a Chinese person. Now red or purple? ...As far as I know, neither color was found in the Chinese geniality (I'm not sure I phrased my statement correctly, but I'm sure you all understand anyways).

And as far as I know, Sun Quan was a human being, not an anime character, so that scratches out purple. But how red could a Chinese person's hair get without dye (assuming he didn't use any)? Probably not much.

I have black hair but sometimes, at the right angle, I can see small tints of reddish brown. Maybe that's like Sun Quan except he's got more...
Wen Choung
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Chu Liu Xiang » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:09 am

He's said to have a purple beard in the novel I believe.
"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man."
I am that bigger man. :lol:
Chu Liu Xiang
Student

Unread postby Shao » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:27 am

i wonder how do Luo Guanzhong know that sun quan (is he real historic figure?) have red or purple hair/beard?

also, sun quan got blue eyes. i feel that he was born with albino (sp?)
Shao
Academic

Unread postby Yuan Seth » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:50 am

I don't see how he would have red hair. Maybe it had to do with something like Three Kingdoms color "Stereotype" if you would call it that. Wu being red, Wei, blue, and Shu, green. But other than that, his beard could be so black that in the sun it would seem like purple, and what Wen Choung said about his hair might be true too.
袁 "Since the dawn of time every one will die,
Let the history books note my death with loyalty at heart." --Wen Tianxiang
Yuan Seth
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Outskirts of Beiping - Driving Gongsun Zan to suicide

Unread postby jyang_99 » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:56 am

Sun Quan has greenish blue eyes, they were being teased by Guan Yu when he was captured, he calls him "blue eyed moron" which angered Sun Quan a lot and that led to Guan's death...
jyang_99
Apprentice

Unread postby Wen Choung » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:58 am

Liu Bei was physically deformed in SGYY, not literally of course, but there's stuff about him having long arms and ear lobes.

Now Sun Quan is perhaps the most colorful person in all of history.

What about Cao Cao?!

However, in keeping with the topic, let's see what we have so far.

Sun Quan had:
- red hair?
- purple hair?
- greenish blue eyes
- purple beard
Wen Choung
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shao » Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:16 am

maybe luo make liu bei and sun quan look freak people and make cao cao look normal?

i only read 1-4 chapters from RTK book. my father gave them back to the library and made me study SAT. jeez. anyway. i did read that luo guanzhong described liu bei and sun quan's look... but i didnt find anything that he described about cao cao. in my mind/verison, cao cao is just normal fat guy.
Shao
Academic

Unread postby Tianshan Zi » Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:27 am

I don't know much about the Sun genealogy, but could Sun Quan have had some Central Asian blood running through his veins? Could a recessive gene have suddenly cropped back into the open? :? If so, that could explain the hair and the eyes...
Tianshan Zi
Headless Thompson Gunner

Unread postby Shao » Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:08 am

RTK book mentions that people or Mangs from the south have blue eyes. zhuge liang met them.

from chapter 88 and line 87-88:
"They were brought in for Zhuge Liang's inspection. They had blue eyes and swarthy faces, auburn hair and purple beards. They wore earrings, their hair was fuzzy, and they went barefoot. They were tall and powerful.

Zhuge Liang made them sit down, and bade his generals press them to drink and treat them well and compliment them."

isnt sun quan one of mangs? :shock:
Shao
Academic

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium