Zhuge Liang vs. Sima Yi

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Shadowlink » Fri Jan 03, 2003 7:58 pm

the t.v show i do'nt care aboput what wang ping said it does not matter how do u know it true or not? Zhugeliang help liu bei make alliance with sun quan because of his plots.
Shadowlink
Langzhong

zhuge liang, would that come under politics?

Unread postby jason1111 » Fri Jan 03, 2003 9:17 pm

as zhuge liang made a political alliance.

hey, i'm not saying that he was moron, i'm just saying that.....from what the SGZ bio of him states, he just seemed a little inflexible with his strategies...that's all
jason1111
Apprentice

Unread postby Jimayo » Fri Jan 03, 2003 9:44 pm

Zhugeliang wrote:the t.v show i do'nt care aboput what wang ping said it does not matter how do u know it true or not? Zhugeliang help liu bei make alliance with sun quan because of his plots.

And the T.V. show is based on the novel, not the real history. In SGZ, it really doesn't say much about Kongming's forming an alliance with Sun Quan.
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby TheGreatNads » Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:49 pm

Regardless, forming an alliance doesn't make someone brilliant.
TheGreatNads
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jimayo » Fri Jan 03, 2003 11:29 pm

TheGreatNads wrote:Regardless, forming an alliance doesn't make someone brilliant.

That's true, but Kongming was brilliant, none the less.
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby TheGreatNads » Sat Jan 04, 2003 12:27 am

How was he brilliant? He was supposed to be talented in politics. If you're going by that then it would be wrong for me to argue. But if you're going by his military strategies then I ask, what did he do to make him brilliant? I'm just curious why you consider him brilliant.
TheGreatNads
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jimayo » Sat Jan 04, 2003 1:10 am

TheGreatNads wrote:How was he brilliant? He was supposed to be talented in politics. If you're going by that then it would be wrong for me to argue. But if you're going by his military strategies then I ask, what did he do to make him brilliant? I'm just curious why you consider him brilliant.

His campaigns were quite well planned out, and very good. And probably the most impressive thing about them is that they left room for things to go wrong(which happened every time) and allowing his armies to escape unscathed. Not to mention the fact that in the fourth and fifth he was winning, being recalled during the fourth, and dying in the fifth, is what derailed those. I don't see why you would say they sucked(aside from the fact that he was so overrated by the novel that people have a tendency to underrate him).
Jimayo

Unread postby CaTigeReptile » Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:25 pm

If Zhuge Liang is supposed to be a brilliant politician, then should I believe that making your population think you're strong by weakening yourself to the brink of destruction is a good idea? Shu, by this point, even with it's alliance with Wu, didn't stand a chance. Have to give him credit for trying, I guess. He did seem to have a way to make people think he was awesome, I suppose. . .but that's charisma. I still don't see anything to find brilliant in Kongming.
CaTigeReptile
Langzhong

Unread postby TheGreatNads » Sun Jan 05, 2003 10:18 pm

They did form an alliance, but the story about Zhuge Liang getting arrows from Cao Cao didn't actually happen. Also I don't believe Zhuge Liang had any part in the strategies of the battle at Red Cliffs and Zhou Yu wasn't jealous of him either, unlike the book suggests.
TheGreatNads
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ender » Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:06 pm

What have you against Zhuge Liang. He held togeather a kingdom himself after Liu Bei death.
"Tell me not in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
And things are not what they seem."
-- Longfellow
Ender
Wandering Darkness

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium