Zhuge Liang vs. Sima Yi

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Zhuge Liang vs. Sima Yi

Unread postby James » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:39 pm

Hi Steven! Don't fret, there are plenty of people here who agree with you. :)

Now that you've managed to post as a guest, why not use your account and open another can of worms or two with us? The "Was Zhuge Liang a great military leader?" discussion is one we've had many many times. And for the record I do agree with you that he was a talented military leader. I'm not sure how many other people could have accomplished the things he did during his Northern Campaigns given the limited resources and obstacles involved.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Guan Yan » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:39 am

I agree that the novel overglorifies Zhuge Liang but Zhuge Liang is still very skilled if not the best :roll:
Yuan shu you dare declare yourself emporor I shall bring the justice of the Han upon your head.
Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord LuBu » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:55 am

Well, Sima Yi had a big advantage against Zhuge Liang in resources. I like to call Zhuge Liangs campaigns failures, not disasters because although what was accomplished was very limited, it also did not devestate Shu. Had it not been for the lack of resources (mostly food) than I believe Zhuge Liang would have accomplished so much more. We can see this same problem when Jiang Wei went on the campaigns (lack of food). Also, Zhuge Liang had so much he had to deal with, Sima Yi mostly strategy but Zhuge Liang the whole state of Shu (for the most part). And putting out the fact that Liu Shan is a moron! :lol:
Everything has a weakness, nothing is ever flawless
Lord LuBu
Initiate

Unread postby Lonely_dragon » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:10 am

Lord LuBu wrote:Well, Sima Yi had a big advantage against Zhuge Liang in resources. I like to call Zhuge Liangs campaigns failures, not disasters because although what was accomplished was very limited, it also did not devestate Shu. Had it not been for the lack of resources (mostly food) than I believe Zhuge Liang would have accomplished so much more. We can see this same problem when Jiang Wei went on the campaigns (lack of food). Also, Zhuge Liang had so much he had to deal with, Sima Yi mostly strategy but Zhuge Liang the whole state of Shu (for the most part). And putting out the fact that Liu Shan is a moron! :lol:

Yeah that is sad... if only Liu Chan was more capable and the tiger general lives longer... I think Zhuge would have more success over Sima Yi... and Steven I agree with you Zhuge is one of the best strategist in 3k era and he manages to outwit Sima Yi sometimes given his limited resources... 8-)
"Know yourself Know your enemy you can win 100 battles, Know yourself and know not the enemy find win and defeat in equal measures, Know not yourself and know not the enemy defeated in every battle." Sun Tzu
Lonely_dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Guan Yan » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:21 am

In terms of administration who is better.
Yuan shu you dare declare yourself emporor I shall bring the justice of the Han upon your head.
Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby yongrenjie » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:57 pm

Guan Yan wrote:In terms of administration who is better.

Zhuge Liang, surely. I don't quite remember Sima Yi administrating anything, though...

I feel that Zhuge would probably have been more better at kingdom administration than being a strategist. After all, he was Shu's Prime Minister.
话说天下大势,分久必合,合久必分
yongrenjie
Apprentice

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:01 pm

Zhuge Liang is clearly the more capeable in both areas. Imagine the chaos Kongming could of achieved if he hd hd Jing........
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Little_Phoenix » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:12 am

Guan Yan wrote:In terms of administration who is better.

Zhuge Liang....there's no doubt of him.
"speedy like wind, gradually like forest, aggressively like fire, immovably like mountain" FUURINKAZAN
Little_Phoenix
Changshi

Unread postby Guan Yan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:03 pm

:lol: No fans of Sima Yi out there :lol:
Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lonely_dragon » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:20 am

Guan Yan wrote::lol: No fans of Sima Yi out there :lol:

Of course there are... however it is hard to vote for Sima Yi when Zhuge Liang outshined him :lol:

Oh no harms meant to those Sima Yi's fans out there... :D
"Know yourself Know your enemy you can win 100 battles, Know yourself and know not the enemy find win and defeat in equal measures, Know not yourself and know not the enemy defeated in every battle." Sun Tzu
Lonely_dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium