Zhang He...

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Lady Zhuge » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:15 am

Lu Wei wrote:Some of Zhuge Liang's best known SGYY victories were his destructions of pursuing armies after he withdrew. Zhang He was being overly cautious, but not much. He probably was equating retreating Shu army with ambush, as anyone having witnessed Zhuge Liang's SGYY ambushes would.

Actually, in SGYY, it was Zhang He who wanted to pursue Zhuge Liang while Sima Yi was reluctant to let him go.

From chapter 101(courtesy of threekingdoms.com):
In doubt, Sima Yi went himself to look, and when he saw the smoke rising from within the walls and the fluttering flags, he said, "The city is deserted!"
109 He sent men in to confirm this, and they said the place was empty.
110 "Then Zhuge Liang is really gone. Who will pursue?"
111 "Let me," replied Zhang He.
112 "You are too impulsive," said Sima Yi.
113 "I have been Leader of the Van from the first day of this expedition. Why not use me today, when there is work to be done and glory to be gained?"
114 "Because the utmost caution is necessary. They are retreating, and they will leave an ambush at every possible point."
115 "I know that, and you need not be afraid."
116 "Well; you wish to go and may, but whatever happens you must be prepared for."
117 "A really noble man is prepared to sacrifice self for country. Never mind what happens."
118 "Then take five thousand troops and start. Wei Ping shall follow with twenty thousand of horse and foot to deal with any ambush that may discover itself. I will follow later with three thousand to help where need be."
119 So Zhang He set out and advanced quickly.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

¡°ÈËÉú²»¿ÉÄÜÄÇôƽµ££¬ ÄÇôÏ뵱Ȼ£» ²»¿ÉÓÀÔ¶ÔÚÏÊ»¨¶È¹ý¡£ ÕýÈçÄǾäÀÏ»°£º ¡®ÈýÊ®ÄêºÓ¶«£¬ ÈýÊ®ÄêºÓÎ÷¡£¡¯¡±

- ÌƹúÇ¿
Lady Zhuge
Kongming's One and Only

Unread postby twiztidscholar45 » Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:12 am

i think zheng he was a great general and strategist but i swear to god hes gay
In this battle strength alone will not save you
twiztidscholar45
Assistant

Unread postby Iain » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:43 am

twiztidscholar45 wrote:i think zheng he was a great general and strategist but i swear to god hes gay
Please dont confuse the Koei game character from Dynasty Warriors with the historical and novel appearances of Zhang He, the similarities end at the names really.

I suggest reading SGZ Zhang He or Biography Zhang He to learn more about what he was like.
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby twiztidscholar45 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:29 am

i see, im sorry for my misconception, god he was awesome, i didnt know he had that much of a role in cao caos campiagns, thanks
In this battle strength alone will not save you
twiztidscholar45
Assistant

Unread postby Yorak » Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:20 am

He did rock, didn't he? He's probably my favorite Wei general besides maybe Deng Ai. I like him better than even the legendary Zhang Liao.
I'm not even here
Yorak
Master

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium