What if Sima Yi and Zhuge Liang were together

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

What if Sima Yi and Zhuge Liang were together

Unread postby Jiang Zhi » Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:29 am

What if they're together in one of either of the kingdoms......would they be.....unstoppable? Invincible couple? With a lord who actually listens too that is ^_^ like Cao Cao or Sun Quan :P
Jiang Zhi of Foshan, style Maodi
~*!越武帝!*~ - 我愛我的妻子孫尚香!
Nan Hai, Jiaozhou

Laconius Arts and Design My Rot3K fanfiction
Jiang Zhi
Sun Shang Xiang's puppy-eyed slave

Unread postby Wen Choung » Fri Dec 06, 2002 5:53 am

I think China would be the only world power to this day... And we'd be sending people to Alpha Centauri too.

I suppose they would be unstoppable...but ultimately, they'd end up killing each other anyways. Their abilities are too competitive with each other and sooner of later, one would want to get rid of the other...the former being Sima Yi and the latter being Zhuge Liang.
Wen Choung
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Starscream » Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:26 am

I think both of them are very dedicated and loyal people, hence if both of them are on the same side (Wei or Shu), unification of China would be made easier. I don't think both of them are out to hate each other in the first place, they were just serving different lords in history and hence paint the picture of two rivals fighting each other to death. :wink:
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Tian Feng » Fri Dec 06, 2002 11:45 am

I agree with Cai Yan, but there is the possiblity that they'd get jealous of each other and start fighting.... like Yuan Shao's advisors...
Er... 我乃是平西大將軍田大人!
Tian Feng
Initiate

Unread postby Starscream » Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:58 pm

Tian Feng wrote:I agree with Cai Yan, but there is the possiblity that they'd get jealous of each other and start fighting.... like Yuan Shao's advisors...

Then we'll have to see the motivation behind them serving their lords. As far as we can judge, Zhuge Liang was more concerned about his lord's ambitions and expansion, Sima Yi was also concerned about the welfare of the state and defence. I don't think both of them were motivated by social status or personal gains when they served their states, hence, jealousy would be unlikely, since they do not have a need to displace another person to achieve their ends. At most, I feel that they might differ in opinions when it comes to setting long term goals! :lol:
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Stefanos » Fri Dec 06, 2002 1:00 pm

Wen Choung wrote:I think China would be the only world power to this day... And we'd be sending people to Alpha Centauri too.

I suppose they would be unstoppable...but ultimately, they'd end up killing each other anyways. Their abilities are too competitive with each other and sooner of later, one would want to get rid of the other...the former being Sima Yi and the latter being Zhuge Liang.

I agree. SY and ZL together is like the Pang Tong/ZL rivalry. Book wise, Pang Tong's jealousy of Zhuge Liang led him to his death. Historically, I *heard* that it was the other way around, ZL was jealous of PT's abilities.
I told you I get paid for every letter.. like abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
Stefanos
我的甜孩子

Unread postby Sam » Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:04 pm

Zhou Yu wrote:I agree. SY and ZL together is like the Pang Tong/ZL rivalry. Book wise, Pang Tong's jealousy of Zhuge Liang led him to his death. Historically, I *heard* that it was the other way around, ZL was jealous of PT's abilities.

Yes, historically, Kongming was jealous of Pang Tong, not Pang Tong of Kongming. Pang Tong was a much better strategist then Kongming could ever be. Kongming and Sima Yi were greatly overrated in SGYY, a more unstoppable duo would be Jia Xu and Fa Zheng, or Pang Tong and Guo Jia. IMO, they were the four finest strategists in the three kingdoms era.
Otherwise known as Wang Ping (Zijun)
Sam
Sweeper of Invaders

Unread postby Mega Zarak » Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:10 pm

Wang Ping wrote:Yes, historically, Kongming was jealous of Pang Tong, not Pang Tong of Kongming. Pang Tong was a much better strategist then Kongming could ever be.

I'm interested in how you derive this. Can you please elaborate further? :D
Mega Zarak
Grand Tutor of Wei

Unread postby Lance » Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:36 pm

I'm interested in how you conclude that Guo Jia is one of the greatest advisors for the time Wang Ping....please do prove it....
Landing the first blow is nice, but only the blow that counts is the last!
Lance
Scholar

Unread postby Tian Feng » Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:40 pm

Wang Ping wrote:
Zhou Yu wrote:IMO, they were the four finest strategists in the three kingdoms era.

Really, Fa Zheng? Jia Xu, yeah, he beat back Cao Cao and other assorted warlords or something, Pang Tong was the Phoenix Fledgling, had to have been smart to earn that namesake, and Guo Jia predicted the demise of the Yuan clan. But Fa Zheng? I thought he was just a good civil officer?
Er... 我乃是平西大將軍田大人!
Tian Feng
Initiate

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium