Best generals. Things to look for.

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Best generals. Things to look for.

Unread postby Kongde » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:28 pm

Deej wrote:
Pirao wrote:What is better, a general who is 50/50 while always fighting overwhelming odds or a generals who wins 90% of the time but always has an army much bigger than his opponent?

I know which one I would choose as better, and it's not the guy with the higher win ratio.

I disagree with this somewhat. There's more to a battle than tactics. The commander who can meet a foe in battle and maintain an advantage has already proven they're a capable commander. There are an innumberable amount of variables.

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.”

Likewise, the commander who can avoid battle when they're at a disadvantage has also showcased their worth.

This quote vividly reminds me of the old trick Zhuge Liang pulled on Sima Yi when he appeared strong when he was weak by making it appear he had set up an ambush in a fort when in reality he had been severely outnumbered and would have lost had Sima Yi went in.
?-Kongde-?
Kongde
Assistant

Re: Best generals. Things to look for.

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:01 am

Dong Zhou wrote:What I recently learned about can impact things at any given time. Win ratio can be a signal but in some circumstances that is not going to be high due to no fault of their own, what they show in battle, the reputation (militarily, they can be hated otherwise) among their peers, the odds they faced, I do try to take those into account.

A fair minded post I think. I also try to look for praise or respect from their contemporaries. Troop counts and casualty reports are exaggerated in modern times as I'm sure they were in the 3rd century.
Overcoming difficult odds with limited resources is also a good sign.
“Vision without action is a daydream, action without vision is a nightmare”
-Japanese proverb
Sakae Wu
Master

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium