Jstor

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Jstor

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:16 pm

I've finally taken the plunge and signed up to a free Jstor account to read Three Kingdom essays. DaoLun has complained elsewhere about opening an article, only to find that it is a review... Would anyone be able to recommend me good essays to read on there and then we can compile a list!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand and my tumblr to see if I have reviewed it!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Re: Jstor

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:32 am

Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:54 am

Thanks DZ! Review was interesting, will add that to my list!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand and my tumblr to see if I have reviewed it!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:17 pm

I thought you might all be interested to know that Jstor have given open access to all their documents for the duration of coronavirus! If you're at a loss of what to do, maybe finding Three Kingdom articles might be a good way of enduring self-isolation!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:28 pm

So I’ve finally cracked and compiled a list of all the sources I can find on Jstor that relate to the Later Han/Three Kingdoms. There is some great stuff, with some very well known writers represented so I hope you all enjoy! But remember, you only get six free a month so pick wisely…

· “Confucian” Values and Practises in Han China by Michael Loewe

· A History of Court Lyrics in China during Wei-Ch’in Times by Howard L. Goodman

· Adoption in Han China by Miranda Brown and Rafe De Crespigny

· Cai Yan and the Poems Attributed to Her by Hans. H Frankel

· Cao Zhi’s (192-232) Symposium Poems by Robert Joe Cutter

· Celestial-Master Taoism and the Founding of the Ts’ao-Wei Dynasty: Li Fu Document by Howard L. Goodman

· Chinese Polymaths, 100-300 AD: The Tung-kuan, Taoist Dissent, and Technical Skills by Howard L. Goodman

· Chu-ko Liang in The Eyes of His Contemporaries by Eric Henry

· Confucian Piety and Individualism in Han China by Michael Nylan

· Divination by Shells, Bones and Stalks during the Han Period by Michael Loewe

· Han Administrative Documents Recent Finds from the North-West by Michael Loewe

· Historic Analogies and Evaluative Judgements: Zhuge Liang as Portrayed in Chen Shou’s “Chronicle of the Three Kingdoms” and Pei Songzhi’s Commentary by Hoyt Cleveland Tillman

· On Reading Cao Zhi’s “Three Good Men”: Yong shi shi or Deng lin shi? by Robert Joe Cutter

· Politics and Philisophy under the Government of Emperor Huan 159-168 A.D. by Rafe De Crespigny

· Recent Research in China on Wei-Jin Nanbeichao History by Hou Xudong and Howard L. Goodman

· Rethinking Chinese Kinship in the Han and the Six Dynasties: A Preliminary Observation by Hou Xudong and Howard L. Goodman

· Rotten Pendent! The Literary and Historic Afterlife of Qiao Zhao by J. Michael Farmer

· Some Notes on Han-Time Documents from Tun-huang by Michael Loewe

· Some Notes On The Western Regions in Later Han by Rafe De Crespigny

· The Bifurcation of the Yellow Turbans in Later Han by Howard S. Levy

· The Calligrapher Cheng Yu (ca.163-230) and the Demographic of a Myth by Howard L. Goodman

· The Cosmological Context of Sovereignty in Han Times by Michael Loewe

· The Death of Empress Zhen: Fiction and Histography in Early Medieval China by Robert Joe Cutter

· The Incident at the Gate: Cao Zhi, the Succession and Literary Fame by Robert Joe Cutter

· The Jewish presence in Imperial China by Michael Loewe

· The Kingdom of Nanzhong China’s Southwest Border Region Prior to the Eighth Century by John Herman

· The Life and Legacy of Liu Biao: Governer, Warlord, and Imperial Pretender in Late Han China by Andrew Chittick

· The Measurement of Grain during the Han Period by Michael Loewe

· The Organs of Han Imperial Government: Zhongdu guan, duguan, xianguan and xiandao guan by Michael Loewe

· The Orphan Ts’ao P’i, His Odd Poem, and Its Histotrophic Fame by Howard L. Goodman

· The Study of Wooden Documents: Recent Developments by Michael Loewe

· The Three Chaste Ones of Ba: Local Perspectives on the Yellow Turban Rebellion on the Chengdu Plain by J. Michael Farmer

· Ts’ao Chih and His Immortals by Donald Holzman

· Two Chapters in the Life of an Empress of the Later Han by Chauncey S. Goodrich

· What’s in a Name? On the Appellative “Shu” in Early Medieval Chinese Histography by J. Michael Farmer

· Yellow Turbans Religion and Rebellion at the End of Han by Howard S. Levy

· “Well how’d you become king, then?” Swords in Early Medieval China by Robert Joe Cutter
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium