Has Anyone Heard Of The Cao Cao TV Series

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Has Anyone Heard Of The Cao Cao TV Series

Unread postby Cai Mao » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:17 am

I've got the box set on DVD and it could well be my favourite TV Series. Ever.
The English subtitles are nothing to write home about but you can get the gist of what they're saying.
It tells the stories no-one really knows about and gives attention to the people who don't often get it.
Cao Cao is portrayed spectacularly, a wise but eager political and military mastermind with a glory-hound streak who gets sadder but wiser as he grows.
Liu Bei is portrayed quite interestingly as well. He seems like a sort of trickster. In his first real appearance as Cao Cao's potential enemy during the Invasion of Xu, he thwarts Cao Cao morally by giving him Zhang Kai, his father's murderer, to punish and asking if he intends to continue invading Xu despite having the means to avenge his father, as he claims is his wish, right there in his tent. So he comes across as one who knows how to play the tricky game and has no real loyalty other than to himself but shows no sign of being an outright evil man.
The battle between Cao Cao and the Ten Attendants is a devious game of speed-chess and the dynamic Cao Cao has with his brothers, his father and his wives is truly touching. And his friendship with Cai Wenji nearly brings me to tears.
It is one of the only pieces of Three Kingdoms media to touch upon the characters of Bian Yuexiang, Zhang Miao, Bao Xin, Cao Ang, Cao Teng and Sima Fang (There's a funny moment early on when Cao Cao loses four games of Go in a row...against a five-year old Sima Yi)
It's not perfect. It becomes very obvious when they're using stock-footage (There's a bit where an alligator attacks that's very obviously a model being shunted in and out of shot) and the weapon sizes are a bit ridiculous but I can look past it for the stories it tells.

I've found it on Youtube (In Mandarin but I think the first two episodes have English subtitles) I don't know how long it'll be there for but I recommend all of you to try it while you can.
Look for Cao Cao Yingxiong.
If any of you have Pleco, it might come in use.
You will find it interesting.
Cai Mao
Tyro

Re: Has Anyone Heard Of The Cao Cao TV Series

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:25 am

We'd actually just been talking about it in this thread, with a new member saying it was great too! It sounds fascinating! Were did you get the box set from?
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Re: Has Anyone Heard Of The Cao Cao TV Series

Unread postby Cai Mao » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:45 pm

Sun Fin wrote:We'd actually just been talking about it in this thread, with a new member saying it was great too! It sounds fascinating! Were did you get the box set from?

Thanks.
I got it from Amazon. Cost quite a bit, I'm afraid buy hey-ho.
Cai Mao
Tyro

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium