The Cambridge History of China Vol.2

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

The Cambridge History of China Vol.2

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:07 pm

The Cambridge History of China volume 1 which covers Qin and Han came out in 1987. It ends in 220 AD, so covers the fall of the Han in great detail but ends before the beginning of the Three Kingdoms proper. Edited by Michael Leowe it is the pride of my collection of history books. One awesome chapter has been shared on this board previously and of one of the many revelations I had from reading it spawned this thread. This is literally the best all round book about the Later Han I know of. It might not have the political depth of RDC's books but it's ambition is so much wider, it covers social, religion, education, foreign policy and literally any other topic you can think of.

Volume three covering Sui and T'ang China had actually come out eight years previous in 1979. You see this series wasn't being done in chronological order. Instead it was based upon significance and scholars available. I didn't know this. In the past I spent several hours trying to find volume 2 before I eventually discovered the truth that it wasn't out yet and there were no immediate plans to begin work on it. Resigned I gave up for a long wait.

Well I'm *incredibly excited* to announce that I stumbled upon a pre-order page for it on amazon, like 5 minutes ago! It's coming out in November this year!!!!!! :D

It's be retailing for a hefty £120 or $155 which while expensive isn't as absurdly expensive as most RDC books. It's full title is: The Cambridge History of China: Volume 2, The Six Dynasties, 220–581. It has jumped to the top of my Three Kingdom's wishlist and I'm sure those of you who like the Jin dynasty will be even more excited for it then I am. *Squinting at DaoLun and Jia*. The chief editors are Albert E. Dien and Keith N. Knapp. I've never read anything by either of them but I know that Jia rates Knapp highly and has recommended others of his books before. However the early part of the contents page will look very familiar to most of us:

1. Wei Rafe de Crespigny;
2. Wu Rafe de Crespigny;
3. Shu-Han J. Michael Farmer;
4. Western Jin Damien Chaussende

With other chapters by people such as Graff and Robert Ford Campany! The full chapter line up is here.

Get excited guys, this is the best news for the academic 3K community since at least Imperial Warlord!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Re: The Cambridge History of China Vol.2

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:29 pm

This is like... the greatest piece of news we've ever gotten. I can't believe this. I am beyond excited to see this! RdC, Farmer, Campany and Knapp? This is practically like a Supergroup of Historians. The Highwaymen basically...

I need to get this.
"Looking at Zhong Hui is like viewing an armory, one sees only spears and lances"
— Pei Kai
Check out this list of historical resources I have.
Check out this list of cited biographies I have written.
DaoLunOfShiji
Scholar

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:01 am

I've searched for Volume 2 for so long thinking it actually exists. Lo and behold they had skipped to 3 all along!

The lineup for the writers is incredible. It's literally a dream team. So many of my favorites in one place!

This book is going to be a great addition to our research and hobby.
Jia Nanfeng
Sage

Unread postby Jordan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:26 am

I'm probably going to pick this one up. I'm familiar with the authors, excepting Knapp and Chaussende. I'm not sure I've read anything by them. Price is high, but much better than Brill. Seems pretty worthwhile.

Edit-Preordered. :)
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:07 am

Glad to see you guys are as enthused about this as I am! It literally is like the 3K equivalent of the Avengers!

Looks like you'll be the first to get it then Jordan. You'll need to tell us how good it is!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:55 am

Jordan wrote:I'm probably going to pick this one up. I'm familiar with the authors, excepting Knapp and Chaussende. I'm not sure I've read anything by them. Price is high, but much better than Brill. Seems pretty worthwhile.

Knapp is a Western authority on Confucianism and has written dozens of books/articles about it (amongst other topics), and he’s definitely deserving of a spot on the dream team.

Chaussende has always been published in French so I haven’t read anything he’s written either. I know he’s had works about the Jin published though.

Congrats on your preorder! :mrgreen:
Jia Nanfeng
Sage

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:20 pm

$180 Canucks, and if Amazon is saying it comes out 30 November, it might be closer to mid-December, MAKING IT A PERFECT XMAS GIFT TO KONG FROM KONG, LOVE KONG.

Pre-ordered.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Deej » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:31 pm

Good to see you guys aren't letting us down with the pre-orders!
Deej
Initiate

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:36 pm

I am going to try to get this as soon as humanly possible. Hopefully I can pre-order it in the next few months, but between moving and buying a new PC it'll be a tight squeeze. :lol:

After Sun Fin told me about this last night I still can't come down from this high. I'm looking forward to this damn book.
"Looking at Zhong Hui is like viewing an armory, one sees only spears and lances"
— Pei Kai
Check out this list of historical resources I have.
Check out this list of cited biographies I have written.
DaoLunOfShiji
Scholar

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:04 pm

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:After Sun Fin told me about this last night I still can't come down from this high. I'm looking forward to this damn book.

I know what you mean!

In the same day I learned about the Eight Princes DLC, with narration by Jia Nanfeng, and this book.

I had to defib myself a few times.
Jia Nanfeng
Sage

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium