The Cambridge History of China Vol.2

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: The Cambridge History of China Vol.2

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:29 pm

At least you guys had several hours to fall asleep. It was 10 PM in the UK when I found it. I did not sleep well, I just couldn't stop thinking about it!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand and my tumblr to see if I have reviewed it!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:59 pm

Jia Nanfeng wrote:
DaoLunOfShiji wrote:After Sun Fin told me about this last night I still can't come down from this high. I'm looking forward to this damn book.

I know what you mean!

In the same day I learned about the Eight Princes DLC, with narration by Jia Nanfeng, and this book.

I had to defib myself a few times.

Hahahaha, I had a very similar reaction to that trailer. It still blows my mind that we are living in this timeline.

I'm definitely curious about Jin, since I've never read that author, but I'm also a bit curious about what Farmer is going to bring to Shu-Han. There's a lot of lesser courtiers in Shu that I know very little about, and I know that Farmer has expressed interest in the Huayang Guozhi before. I wonder if we're going to get some anecdotes in English from that text which previously have not been translated.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby PeanutButterToast » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:12 am

Now that I know that these books exist, I think I hear my wallet screaming in agony.
PeanutButterToast
Initiate

Unread postby vvill » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:32 am

Merry Xmas to me! Hoping there is lots of original material.

Never heard of Damien Chaussende, though a quick Google seems to indicate he publishes in French?
I bought Imperial Warlord and the tome. Hardcovers are awesome.
vvill
Apprentice

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:27 pm

So this is out! I've got my copy but not had a chance to do much but admire it so far! A fair few seemed to pre-order it and must have delved into it by now! What are the stand out bits to you?
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand and my tumblr to see if I have reviewed it!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Pirao » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:17 pm

Sun Fin wrote:So this is out! I've got my copy but not had a chance to do much but admire it so far! A fair few seemed to pre-order it and must have delved into it by now! What are the stand out bits to you?

I'm on the Eastern Jin chapter right now, so I read all the three chapters about each of the Three Kingdoms. The Shu chapter said that Zhang Fei was "defeated and killed by his subordinates", as far as I know he was just killed by his subordinates. On the plus side, it has a much more reasonable figure for Shu's population (around 1 million households, so around 5 million people with an average of 5 per household) than the one of 900.000 in wikipedia, which is frankly ridiculous. A population of 900.000 can't field an army of 100.000 (unless they're nomads and their crazy mobilization rates of course).

It also has figures for Wu's army in the Western Jin chapter, it says Jin could field 500.000 and Wu 230.000, though it doesn't quote any historical text. I imagine those are the authors estimations.
Pirao
Apprentice

Unread postby Jordan » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:47 pm

I have the book. The chapters specifically on Wei, Wu, Shu-Han and Western Jin are kind of general and light on details. I admittedly have been really lazy and haven't read much further. Was kind of disappointed that the War of Eight Princes is almost entirely glossed over except for the most basic information of who the princes were, that they fought with one another, and when each prince was ascendant. I probably set myself up for disappointment for the Shu-Han chapter. I should have figured it was just going to be a basic outline rather than anything extravagant. The chapters on religion, music, women, foreign affairs, and so forth with respect to this entire 300+ year era seem more interesting.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby qqdonut » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:18 am

The free preview is pretty generous as it covers some of the parts we're probably all interested in. Unfortunately it has quite a bit less detail than I would like. For example, on the War of the Eight Princes I was satisfied with Dreyer's chapter in Military Culture in Imperial China and quite enjoy Graff's coverage of the whole era in A Military History Of China, but I agree with Jordan. And we're probably spoiled by de Crespigny and others' detailed treatments of Later Han/Three Kingdoms.

I suppose it's impossible in a "summary" type history, and in any case, hard to expect anyone to have really read through and processed Jinshu, let alone all the auxiliary sources from that era - but it dissuaded me from buying the book. I'll have a peruse in a library sometime.
qqdonut
Tyro

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium