Family Trees of the Three Kingdoms & Jin

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Family Trees of the Three Kingdoms & Jin

Unread postby Kongde » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:29 am

I've long been working on compiling various family trees of the Three Kingdoms period and Jin period. I try to include as much information as possible, including places of birth, stylenames, date of death and birth, and a small biography (not always super detailed, but something. may improve depending how this goes). So far, I've done Zhuge Liang's and Zhong Hui's. Zhong Hui's family tree has been thoroughly checked, courtesy of DaoLunofShiji, and should be the most accurate by far. While I'm on that note, I highly encourage you to visit his own website with his family tree (nearly identical to mine, but with extra descriptions).

Now, to access the biographies and see all other info, you will need to click on each individual person. This family tree I use hides other generations of families, so if you see a line that is not solid black just sticking out pointing to nobody, click on that person with the line and it will only show you those members within that family that you previously could not see. If you're confused, just click around on the names and eventually, you will see what I mean. To go back to normal view, you will have to click the person you originally clicked on to expand it (whoever has that dashed line). Alternatively, at the bottom you can click "Back to me."

HTML File: This is the file you will need to see the other family members and info not seen in the picture for Zhong Hui. It is an HTML file, so opening it with any browser should work.

Finally, for Zhong Hui (I plan to do others....eventually), I have created a relationship list, filled with people he was friends with or enemies with, with a little description. I'm not perfect, so if you see any mistakes in these descriptions, or in my family tree, do not hesitate to point it out. With that said, onto the family trees!!!

High Quality Zhong Hui's family tree picture (Tried to upload the picture, but it's too big. Resized it, but it's too blurry, so here's the link to the original picture for more clarification if you have trouble seeing it)

RELATIONS/FRIENDSHIPS
-Wei Guan: Childhood friend who went from being great friends of Hui to eventually hating him, in part due to his rebellion. Before the rebellion broke out, Sima Zhao suspected Zhong Hui was being disloyal and wanted Wei Guan to spy on him and try to convince him to switch back loyalty if he was disloyal. Ultimately failed and Hui attempted to take his life but Wei Guan saw his plot before it became a reality.
-Wang Bi: Close friend of Zhong Hui and scholarly legend renowned for his genius. His texts were used for over a thousand years after his death. He died at age 23 from illness.
-Xun Xu: Nephew to Hui and was very close to him. (See mini-bio for more info in the family tree)
-He Yan: Close friend and teacher to Hui. Created a literary circle of sorts to discuss philosophical positions which included Pei Xiu, Zhong Hui, Xun Xu, and Wang Bi, all of which were friends of Hui.
-Du Yu: Personal friend and advisor to Zhong Hui. Escaped imprisonment from Zhong Hui with Qiu Jian during Hui's rebellion. Later, upon recommendation from Yang Hu, Sima Yan appointed him as first field marshal to lead 100,000 against Wu, which was ultimately successful in part due to Du Yu's wits.
-Qiu Jian: Originally a friend of Zhong Hui, but during Hui's rebellion, he contacted Hu Lie and escaped to meet Hu Yuan and Wei Guan to revolt against him and informed others which ultimately ended in the death of Zhong Hui.
-Xun Yu: Relation by family marriage. Zhong Yao was also close with Xun Yu.
-Xun You: Relation by family marriage, and Zhong Yao was even more close with Xun You.
-Xun Rong (styled Boya): Debated with Zhong Hui on the interpretation of the Book of Changes and the Laozi. Xun Rong was the son of Xun Shao, who was the son of Xun Yan (styled Xiuruo), who was the third-oldest brother of Xun Yu.
-Sima Shi: Zhong Hui was Attendant Gentleman of the Palace Writers at this time, and described as his intimate advisor, working directly on confidential matters. When Wen Qin and Guanqiu Jian mutinied against Sima Shi, Zhong Hui advised him to lead the army against him in person. However, Shi had recently had an eye tumor removed and needed to recover and other advisors opposed him going in person. Ultimately, Shi did lead the army against Wen Qin and Guanqiu Jian in 255 AD and were successful, but after returning home that same year, put Sima Zhao in charge of military and died shortly after. Zhong Hui and Shi were very close.
-Sima Zhao: Fully trusted Zhong Hui and admired his abilities. Very intimate/close advisor/lord relationship. They even planned the conquest of Shu together. Their relationship was so strong that even Sima Zhao's own wife, Wang Yuanji, attempted to pull them apart. Zhong Hui was compared to Zhang Liang under Sima Zhao, in that the trust and importance placed upon Zhong Hui was greater than any other. Xun Xu and others close to Zhong Hui warned Sima Zhao not to trust him and that he had untrustworthy tendencies, and later this would prove to turn out true.
-Pei Kai: Pei Xiu's younger cousin, Zhong Hui was responsible for employing him and most likely served as a mentor. Pei Kai was very outspoken against Zhong Hui's interpretation of the Zhouyi.
-Pei Xiu: A member of He Yan's literary circle, which included Zhong Hui, and notable scholar. Family relations with Zhong Hui as well.
-Sima Wang: Cousin to Sima Zhao. Was close to notable members of He Yan's literary circle, like Pei Xiu, Wang Chen, and Zhong Hui. Cao Mao, while being emperor, was fond of them as well and often held banquets.
-Cao Mao: During Cao Mao's reign as emperor, he admired members of He Yan's literary circle and hosted banquets for them often, this included Zhong Hui.

NEGATIVE RELATIONSHIPS
-Ruan Ji: Ruan Ji drank many of his days away and had been known for his drunkedness. Still, he was a writer and intellectual and Sima Zhao was very fond of him. Ruan Ji was known for hating customs. Ruan Ji seemed to hate Zhong Hui, as he penned a poem in distaste about him. At one point, Hui tried to slander Ruan Ji, going as far as to send spies on him to find things to slander him on (to no avail). Ji Kang also wrote a piece of work with Ruan Ji, and were known for drinking together to mourn his mother's death, which was seen as unfilial (the act of drinking to mourn a death).
-Ji Kang: A famous scholar whom Zhong Hui looked up to and admired, but had a conflict with Hui at 262, and later was slandered by Hui to Sima Zhao (Wen-di) who had Ji Kang executed as a result. Was close with Ruan Ji.

Family Tree's to do next:
-Sima Yi
-Sun clan
-Xiahou clan
-Xun clan
Last edited by Kongde on Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:06 am, edited 6 times in total.
?-Kongde-?
Kongde
Apprentice

Re: Family Trees of the Three Kingdoms & Jin

Unread postby Kongde » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:30 am

HTML File: Zhuge Liang Family Tree HTML (to view extra family members, bios, style names, and other information) (you must download the file and open it in a web browser, any one, to view it) (UPDATED: 4/17/2019 - Added pictures to make navigation easier)

For the original picture, High Quality picture

RELATIONSHIPS/FRIENDS
-Coming Soon

NEGATIVE RELATIONSHIPS
-Coming Soon

Notes: (1) It seems that the year 253 was a really bad year for the Zhuge family, especially for the Wu side. Most, if not all of the known family was exterminated. (2) It is also interesting to note that Zhuge Dan is the great-grandfather in law of the emperor Sima Rui. (3) This is also currently not all verified. Please, if you see something you don't agree with, let me know and I will look into it. Namely, Zhuge Ke's sons are the biggest ones in the air. It is stated he only has 3 sons. However, I have 5 sons listed. I am sure Jian, Chao, and Song seem to be the likely actual sons, Shao and Zhuo both need verifying but have seen mention of both. (4) currently, bios are incomplete here. Will work on updating them and the HTML file as time goes on.
Last edited by Kongde on Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:58 pm, edited 8 times in total.
?-Kongde-?
Kongde
Apprentice

HTML File: Sima Yi Family Tree HTML (to view extra family members, bios, style names, and other information) (you must download the file and open it in a web browser, any one, to view it) (INCOMPLETE, Draft version)

For the original picture, High Quality picture

RELATIONSHIPS/FRIENDS
-Coming Soon

NEGATIVE RELATIONSHIPS
-Coming Soon

Notes: (1) Currently, this is in a DRAFT Form. It is INCOMPLETE, so there are quite a bit of entries still missing (as if it's not big enough already!) (2) I am unsure of the Yang and Cai family line. It would be much appreciated to have that double checked and let me know the accuracy of it. I feel like I flubbed something up somewhere. Other than that, there shouldn't be any other issues as of yet. (3) Bios and other information like birthplaces will come later. Right now, I'm prioritizing simple entries as the sheer size of this would extend the release of this significantly. (4) Xiahou Yuan was the Great-Great-Grandfather-in-law of Sima Rui, the Emperor of Jin. (5) Zhuge Dan, Zhuge Liang's cousin, was the Great-Grandfather-in-law of Sima Rui.
Last edited by Kongde on Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
?-Kongde-?
Kongde
Apprentice

Reserved (for Sun clan)
?-Kongde-?
Kongde
Apprentice

Unread postby Kongde » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:31 am

Reserved (for Xiahou clan)
?-Kongde-?
Kongde
Apprentice

Unread postby Kongde » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:31 am

Reserved (for Xun clan)
?-Kongde-?
Kongde
Apprentice

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:59 am

Wow, this is a huge project! I'm really looking forward to your Sun one in particular. When I have some more time I'll examine what you'd produced in more detail.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kongde » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:20 am

Sun Fin wrote:Wow, this is a huge project! I'm really looking forward to your Sun one in particular. When I have some more time I'll examine what you'd produced in more detail.

The Sun one will be the Fun one... :lol: but really, all of them after Zhuge Liang are fairly extensive family trees.... but itll be fun to do them ;)

I will try to put any questionable entries in the notes, but they should also be mentioned under their bio if I was unsure about them. Right now, I think the most likely mistake is in the Zhuge Liang family tree, possibly two of five of Ke's sons I have listed may not exist. I put that in the notes field but other than that, everything else shouldbe good.

Let me know what you think!
?-Kongde-?
Kongde
Apprentice

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:15 pm

This is a fun project! Looking forward to more. :D
Jia Nanfeng
Sage

Unread postby Kongde » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:44 pm

Jia Nanfeng wrote:This is a fun project! Looking forward to more. :D

Glad to hear it!

I've also decided to incorporate a step further and add pictures when available since I realize when the family trees get bigger that navigation on this family tree software does begin to get a little crazy and confusing, so the hope is to make it easier to find your way around. I used ROTK portraits. I updated the Zhuge family tree to start with since the Zhong one is not too bad. Keep in mind also the Zhuge one still needs updating on bios as well and other tidbits, but I will keep everyone posted as these updates happen. I will leave the date of the latest update and what I changed.
?-Kongde-?
Kongde
Apprentice

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium