Three Kingdoms chapter summaries

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Three Kingdoms chapter summaries

Unread postby Stenlasha » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:22 pm

Hi! I've just created a chapter-by-chapter summary for the Sanguo Yanyi, for people who want to read the entire plot of the novel, from start to finish, in about an hour. It's presented as though its readers have little or no knowledge of the novel, but it's probably most useful as a reference point ("which chapter did X character die in?") or as a refresher for people whose memories of the book have got quite vague. I'm sure that most people on this forum know the book better than that - but I thought it could be a useful resource, and also the process of writing this summary really revealed the inner logic of the plot to me. I think the overarching drumbeat of the story is much clearer in this summary, than when the reader is immersed in the text and caught up in the wealth of detail. If anyone has any feedback, please let me know! (Although if it's about incidents/characters I left out, I probably won't add them - I'm trying to keep it as simple and accessible as possible, so that newcomers could use my guide to familiarise themselves with the story without getting overwhelmed by detail...)

https://randallwriting.com/three-kingdo ... summary-1/
Stenlasha
Tyro

Re: Three Kingdoms chapter summaries

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:36 am

Nice work! I think you nailed what you intended to do here. A Sanguo Yanyi cliff notes so to speak. Well written summaries interspersed with pictures and maps.
I thought some of your take aways from the novel were spot on. An example being: "most leaders’ failures in the novel can be traced directly to clear flaws: arrogance, excessive cruelty, recklessness, naivete".
While this can be said about many leaders throughout history in really rings true in the novel I think. And no doubt some seemed to more than just one of these flaws.
Welcome to SoSZ!
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius
Sakae Wu
Master

Unread postby Stenlasha » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:38 pm

Sakae Wu wrote:Nice work! I think you nailed what you intended to do here. A Sanguo Yanyi cliff notes so to speak. Well written summaries interspersed with pictures and maps.
I thought some of your take aways from the novel were spot on. An example being: "most leaders’ failures in the novel can be traced directly to clear flaws: arrogance, excessive cruelty, recklessness, naivete".

Thank you very much! Of course a summary like this can't capture the intricacy and subtlety of the novel, but I hope it's a useful roadmap. I love the chains of cause and effect that bring down one character after another, and the way they are usually responsible for their own downfalls.
Stenlasha
Tyro

Unread postby Qin Feng » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:23 pm

Damn, and I've been doing this since I started to read the novel!

Regardless, nice work, once I'm finished with mine I can complete them with yours and fill in the information I missed out on.
Qin Feng
Assistant

Unread postby Stenlasha » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:55 pm

Haha - glad to hear it, and best of luck!
Stenlasha
Tyro

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium