To Live as an Emperor of Han or as Commonfolk of Today?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: To Live as an Emperor of Han or as Commonfolk of Today?

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:53 am

My answer is modern day commoner - Jesus is the most precious part of my life and Christianity hadn't reached China at this time.

However the conversation about entertainment is an interesting one. I'm an extrovert. My tests also come out at 90+% on that scale. I literally love being around people. The idea of more entertainment being dependent on spending with with family and friends does actually appeal to me. As Dong pointed out the Emperor was incredibly restricted, but being merely noble does hold some appeal. I also know I'm pretty privileged to have always had good health which is a factor many of you have taken into account. My answer is still no, for my initial reason (and others - like no Yorkshire pudding! :shock: Also my answer for why I wouldn't be American) but I can see some advantages.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kongde » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:09 am

It seems to be overwhelming that people would rather live today than even as an emperor/Noble of that time period. It is crazy to think that the average person is better off than an EMPEROR or Noble of ~2,000ish years ago. Hell, we could honestly for the same or similar reasons even say the same for even as recent as....100-200 years ago, I think, and the answer would still mostly be the same.

It could be said that people live as king's today, comparatively speaking.
?-Kongde-?
Kongde
Apprentice

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:21 am

Certainly that is true for much of the globe, I'm not so sure that everyone in 3rd world countries might agree though!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:56 pm

Kongde wrote:It seems to be overwhelming that people would rather live today than even as an emperor/Noble of that time period. It is crazy to think that the average person is better off than an EMPEROR or Noble of ~2,000ish years ago. Hell, we could honestly for the same or similar reasons even say the same for even as recent as....100-200 years ago, I think, and the answer would still mostly be the same.

Possibly. This dilemma gets somewhat hit by the "if I lived then I would be dead" issue that has come up but most of us I assume are also not living in mansions with acres of lands, servants and ability not to work. Unless you have something you wish to tell us :wink: Possibly most of us aren't in food poverty which could well send the answers back to living as a noble but for those that aren't desperate, I think the development of technology has made the appeal of living richly in the past less appealing then it might have been if you asked this question, say, 100 years ago.

The appeals of, in essence, being rich are obvious but the downside of what would be lost from now (internet and all that) is now such, the appeal has narrowed. We have information and entertainment that would be unimaginable to them, that makes life so much better and would be badly missed if we jumped back in time. The fear of death (both health and execution) and now very much, the fear of boredom, that the gap between what was rich then and the lives of the ordinary person has narrowed (rich food and mansions still appeal but if you have a decent house and enjoy a pizza, there isn't the desperate escape feel of being an ancient noble to overcome downsides).

Now how do I get Kongde's 200 room mansion?
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Kongde » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:33 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:
Kongde wrote:It seems to be overwhelming that people would rather live today than even as an emperor/Noble of that time period. It is crazy to think that the average person is better off than an EMPEROR or Noble of ~2,000ish years ago. Hell, we could honestly for the same or similar reasons even say the same for even as recent as....100-200 years ago, I think, and the answer would still mostly be the same.

Possibly. This dilemma gets somewhat hit by the "if I lived then I would be dead" issue that has come up but most of us I assume are also not living in mansions with acres of lands, servants and ability not to work. Unless you have something you wish to tell us :wink: Possibly most of us aren't in food poverty which could well send the answers back to living as a noble but for those that aren't desperate, I think the development of technology has made the appeal of living richly in the past less appealing then it might have been if you asked this question, say, 100 years ago.

The appeals of, in essence, being rich are obvious but the downside of what would be lost from now (internet and all that) is now such, the appeal has narrowed. We have information and entertainment that would be unimaginable to them, that makes life so much better and would be badly missed if we jumped back in time. The fear of death (both health and execution) and now very much, the fear of boredom, that the gap between what was rich then and the lives of the ordinary person has narrowed (rich food and mansions still appeal but if you have a decent house and enjoy a pizza, there isn't the desperate escape feel of being an ancient noble to overcome downsides).

Now how do I get Kongde's 200 room mansion?

All fair enough points!

Hahaha, unfortunately I do not have such luxuries. Now.... if you want to know how to get that 200 room mansion though, just be a noble or an emperor of that time....Shouldn't be too much of a problem then :lol:
?-Kongde-?
Kongde
Apprentice

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium