Three Yuan's and a Gao

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Three Yuan's and a Gao

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:34 am

I think you should contact him Dong, the worst that can happen is him saying no/receiving no answer!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:41 am

I agree as well Dong. You put a heck of a lot of work into these works and they are definitely worthy of being in an academic journal.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:59 pm

Got a
Thank you for your interest in Early Medieval China. Currently, there is a 3+ year backlog in our publication schedule, and I am unable to consider your essays for publication at this time.

Should you wish to resubmit them in the future, please first consult a current issue of EMC in regards to submission guidelines and formatting requirements, then send files in word and pdf format. I was unable to access the .odt files you attached to your message.

Best wishes,

J. Michael Farmer

My bad on the format but Professor Farmer was polite and quick
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:14 pm

As you say, briefly polite! When my EMC subscription kicks in this autumn I’ll let you know the criteria and correct format :D.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby waywardauthor » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:23 pm

3 year backlog just means that they've settled on what's going to be in the next three publications. They only do one a year, so no worries on that front.

I would recommend converting them to a pdf, and then shopping around. If they care about chapter formatting, I would recommend Chicago citation style.
Alone I lean under the wispy shade of an aged tree,
Scornfully I raise to parted lips a cup of warm wine,
Longingly I cast an empty vessel aside those exposed roots,
And leave behind forgotten memories and forsaken dreams.
waywardauthor
Scholar

Unread postby Jordan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:40 pm

I have trouble knowing what to believe about women when it comes to Chinese sources. With regards to Jia Nanfeng, it is stated that she threw halberds at pregnant women out of jealousy. It is said that she had her servants capture youths in boxes, bring them to her, and then killed the youths to stop them from leaking what was happening. This makes her sound like some kind of mythical monster, and I honestly have trouble believing it all. At the same time, I don't want to take the sources too lightly or dismiss things out of hand and without good authority, such as contradictory evidence elsewhere. It is possible that all these things are true. I would leave the possibility open that some examples are true and others are fiction or exaggerated. I would also leave the possibility open that for various reasons related to Confucian mores, many stories may be invented to fit a narrative.

With respect to Yuan Shao's wife, I have a similar difficulty trying to discern what is true and not true. It's possible that she did have some of Yuan Shao's concubines killed out of jealousy or wrath. I don't necessarily disbelieve it. This was a violent era, and it's not that impossible to believe that somebody would act in this way. However, I also agree with you that it's possible the claims were fabricated to make the family look particularly immoral. I do, however, believe that she had a strong hand in the succession regardless. Yuan Shao was ill after subsequent defeats and it seems likely she took some charge over the situation. The novel exaggerates this greatly, making it seem like she manipulated the entire court like a puppet master, put words into Yuan Shao's mouth and demanded Yuan Shang be made the successor. This makes it seem like she was acting effectively as regent, taking power before Yuan Shao had even perished. I doubt this is the case, but she likely had a considerable amount of influence and helped persuade Yuan Shao to favor Shang. There may have been factions forming at Yuan Shao's court even before he died favoring one son or the other. This wouldn't surprise me as we saw similar things happening with Cao Cao's sons Zhi and Pi, as well as with Sun Quan's potential heirs after the death of Sun Deng. Lady Liu may have been the leader or an especially influential voice of a clique favoring Yuan Shang.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:12 am

I agree with you about the need for caution about writings with powerful woman. I agree also that Lady Liu likely had influence and a considerable part in helping manoeuvre her son onto throne (and she seems to have her head on with using Lady Zhen to... woo Cao Pi)
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium