Xun Yu - MVP of the Era?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Xun Yu - MVP of the Era?

Unread postby Wenruo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:17 am

Okay okay, I know I'm biased because he's my namesake and my favorite character in the novel and the TV series... But hear me out.

He saw that Dong Zhuo was evil and Yuan Shao was fatuous, so he found the Lord who could put his talents to good use, Cao Cao.

He advised Cao Cao to "rescue" the emperor and use him to control the other lords, in what was Cao Cao's most strategically important move.

He salvaged a desperate situation when Lu Bu invaded while Cao Cao was off in Xu province.

He brought many other men of talent into Cao Cao's service.

He gave Cao Cao strength to hold on during a desperate moment in the Guandu campaign, which ultimately decided that Wei would dominate the central plains and unite the realm.

For what it's worth, the reason he is my favorite is because while he served an ambitious Lord, he was still true to his loyalty and principles. He was a master strategist but also would rather die than be disloyal to his Emperor.
Wenruo
Tyro

Re: Xun Yu - MVP of the Era?

Unread postby Han » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:49 am

Xun Yu never cared about the Emperor much if at all. His first and foremost concern was ensuring that the Han Dynasty will continue and the people of China will recover from the decline of the Eastern Han.
Liu Bei did nothing wrong.
Han
Changshi

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:34 am

I feel like you might enjoy this free source about Xun Yu ;)

I certainly agree with you that he a likable and a real stand up guy. He seems like the last Han loyalist and I respect him for confronting Cao Cao, his great friend, when he was no longer comfortable with the direction he was moving in!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:37 pm

This is also a great paper on Xun Yu (and Xun You), which includes translations of their SGZ biographies.
https://threestatesrecords.files.wordpr ... wo-xun.pdf
"Looking at Zhong Hui is like viewing an armory, one sees only spears and lances"
— Pei Kai
Check out this list of historical resources I have.
Check out this list of cited biographies I have written.
DaoLunOfShiji
Scholar

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:14 pm

Welcome to forum Wenruo

I'm not sure about MVP (surely it is Dong, the starter of chaos :wink: ) but Xun Yu is a very well regarded figure for his tragic end with the complexity of serving two things that had become conflicting, his loyalty to the dying Han and for his great service under Cao Cao including the reasons you mentioned.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:23 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Welcome to forum Wenruo

I'm not sure about MVP (surely it is Dong, the starter of chaos :wink: ) but Xun Yu is a very well regarded figure for his tragic end with the complexity of serving two things that had become conflicting, his loyalty to the dying Han and for his great service under Cao Cao including the reasons you mentioned.

Sorry, we all know who the real MVP is! Shoot for the Sun and you might reach Ce heights.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:10 am

Sun Fin wrote:
Sorry, we all know who the real MVP is!

Zhong Hui :D
"Looking at Zhong Hui is like viewing an armory, one sees only spears and lances"
— Pei Kai
Check out this list of historical resources I have.
Check out this list of cited biographies I have written.
DaoLunOfShiji
Scholar

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium