Three Kingdoms Webcomic, Flames of Tranquility

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Three Kingdoms Webcomic, Flames of Tranquility

Unread postby Akirus » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:33 am

Not sure if this is appropriate to post here so if I'm out of line, but I thought it might be of interest and I didn't see anything against self-promotion in the rules, so here it is.

First of all, here's a quick introduction. I'm Akirus, longtime fan of ROTK and pretty much anything to do with Three Kingdoms. I was introduced by my father to ROTK VII when I was around 8 years old ('introduced' = he played it a LOT and I watched him). I sunk a lot of hours into those games, especially VII, VIII and XI (XI was my favourite because of the open world format, and no subsequent game has interested me since).

I also played various Dynasty Warriors games over the years (can't remember which ones specifically) and of course, read Luo Guanzhong's novel, as well as other media adaptations and whatever academic texts I could find translated in English. I also have a background in history, although I didn't study the 3K era as part of my university studies. I don't post on forums often but I've been browsing here for many years and have always appreciated that a community like this exists.

Now I'm working with my partner to produce a webcomic called 'Flames of Tranquility'. She does all the drawing and I write the script. The current story arc will follow the exploits of Sun Ce in his campaigns to subdue the Jiangdong region. We published the first episode today which you can read for free here.

Unlike a lot of modern 3K adaptations in media, I'm referencing historical records of the time rather than the popular fictional account of ROTK. My sources are primarily the works of Dr. Rafe de Crispigny and other translated versions of the Records of the Three Kingdoms; thanks to the folks on kongming.net and xuesanguo on Tumblr for their translations. Obviously, it's fiction so the story is told through my personal interpretation and with some stylistic liberties. However, I intend to keep the underlying tone serious, with an emphasis on the political and military aspects that I find most interesting about the era.

I figure if there's anyone who'd be interested in this kind of thing, they'd be here, so please give it a read and let me know what you think. Your support and feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Akirus
Tyro

Re: Three Kingdoms Webcomic, Flames of Tranquility

Unread postby LibraryOfBojie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:29 pm

I read the first chapter and really enjoyed it, looking forward to future releases. How far do you plan on taking the story? Will it go past Sun Ce?
LibraryOfBojie
Tyro

Unread postby Akirus » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:15 pm

Glad you liked it!

We're currently planning to do around one episode a month so it will take a while, but I plan to cover other factions as well for a more comprehensive narrative on the whole era. I have some twists in store that will allow me to place greater emphasis on figures other than the Big 3; I'd love to write something from the PoV of Yuan Shao, for example. Nothing concrete yet, but some may be in written form to complement the comic since that's a little less time-consuming to produce.
Akirus
Tyro

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:35 pm

James, the root admin here, actively encourages self-promotion, especially of Three Kingdom products! :D

Comics aren't really my thing, however Sun Ce certainly is! I enjoyed the opening entry and will continue to read if you continue to share them here :).

I guess one of the stylistic liberties you mentioned is Yuan Shu being a 'her'? :lol:
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Akirus » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:23 am

I'll be sure to post updates here when we release new episodes, thanks for the kind words.

Glad you picked up on that detail! We decided to do a few selective gender swaps for certain characters for some diversity in design. However, I plan to remain faithful to the records insofar as it's possible and refrain from making it too intrusive. I also have some ideas on how I want to integrate them into the culture and explain their place, which should make for some interesting characterization and plot devices.

Bonus points if you know who his adjutant is from the style name :)
Akirus
Tyro

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:23 am

That an easy one :lol:.

Lu Fan is my pick for most underrated officer of the period and my favourite of Sun Ce's subordinates! They are also the pair that played the oldest game of Go that we have a move by move record of (sadly unfinished) but even so that is pretty cool!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Akirus » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:12 pm

If he's not the most underrated, then it has to be close. He never gets any love in ROTK, modern adaptations or even video games; what the heck is this, Koei?

I always liked this anecdote about him the most:

Akirus
Tyro

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:21 pm

I intend to rectify that in my own fictional account of the 3K as well! :)
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:26 pm

I genuinely enjoyed this a lot, and I echo Sun Fin's love of Lu Fan being in this. Wu is generally very underrepresented and poor Lu Fan is one of, if not the greatest victims of this. I am always a fan of the terrifically talented and underrepresented getting their chance to shine.

I can't wait to read more and see just how you take this webcomic. Keep up the excellent work.
"I take Heaven and Earth to be my dwelling, and my rooms are my coat and pants; so what are you gentlemen doing in my pants?"
DaoLunOfShiji
Master

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:41 am

I enjoyed this, I thought it was very well drawn,there was a lot of good touches like the glistening halberd and use of flower, horses not being quiet, the sense of numbers and the way it ended at a good point. Nice for Wu to get some attention

Belated Welcome Akirus
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium