'Talons and Fangs of the Eastern Han Warlords' Thesis

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: 'Talons and Fangs of the Eastern Han Warlords' Thesis

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks, look forward to giving this a read particularly the early chapters covering areas we don't often read about, particularly given the reviews
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Elitemsh » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:07 pm

Fin, many thanks for giving a link for this thesis. Was an interesting read but disagree with some of his views on Shu men. He said Ma Chao played a crucial role in Yi campaign. Ma Chao did fa here. He made the enemy surrender earlier but it looks like that was inevitable anyway. Didn't Liu Bei etc have the city surrounded from all sides? At Han Zhong, I remember Ma Chao being paired with Zhang Fei but no successes on the field. His argument of the ranks being a measure of what each had done for Liu Bei is absolute bs as far as I'm concerned. Ma Chao's contribution to Shu was much less than the others. It's a case of Guan Yu= Zhang Fei> Zhao Yun> Huang Zhong> Ma Chao.
''I've never fought for anyone but myself. I've got no purpose in life. No ultimate goal. It's only when I'm cheating death on the battlefield. The only time I feel truly alive.'' ~Solid Snake
Elitemsh
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Aaron.K » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:09 am

Elitemsh wrote:Fin, many thanks for giving a link for this thesis. Was an interesting read but disagree with some of his views on Shu men. He said Ma Chao played a crucial role in Yi campaign. Ma Chao did fa here. He made the enemy surrender earlier but it looks like that was inevitable anyway. Didn't Liu Bei etc have the city surrounded from all sides? At Han Zhong, I remember Ma Chao being paired with Zhang Fei but no successes on the field. His argument of the ranks being a measure of what each had done for Liu Bei is absolute bs as far as I'm concerned. Ma Chao's contribution to Shu was much less than the others. It's a case of Guan Yu= Zhang Fei> Zhao Yun> Huang Zhong> Ma Chao.

Yeah, I just finished the Shu chapter. I don't agree at all with his views on Ma Chao and his achievements. I think Ma Chao's rank was more to placate him because of his nobility instead of what he'd done for Liu Bei.
"Don't trust anyone. Never sit with your back to an entrance. Wear shoes with reversed footprints."
Aaron.K
Sage

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:39 am

I haven't read the character profiles other that Dian Wei's one but the impression I got was that it would be the weakest part of the thesis, certainly considering our accumulated knowledge. I think the social/military history contributions are more valuable to us.
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby CaTigeReptile » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:49 pm

Wow, the Military Theories, Tactics, Codes of Warfare section has some great translations of stuff I've never seen before. Thanks for posting! There's also great info about those military markets. The info about the composition/orderliness/professionalism of the troops is straight from DeCrespigny, though.
CaTigeReptile
Langzhong

Unread postby Tao Qian » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:45 pm

Thanks a lot for sharing this! :D
Tao Qian
Assistant

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium