So, who is Li Ming?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

So, who is Li Ming?

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Tue May 01, 2018 9:49 pm

A few people have asked me this over the last few weeks (at least one of whom is apparently a poster on this forum), so I'm going to bring the question here for people to see if anyone knows.

The mobile game version of Legend of Cao Cao adds many new characters above and beyond what the original PC version had. One of them is a female character named Li Ming, available to recruit from Zhao Yun's banner. Here is her bio from the game...

https://i.imgur.com/vaNGJll.jpg

I assume this is a character from folklore, similar to Bao Sanniang/Ma Yunlu/Hua Man who are all also in the game. Given that, I was wondering if anyone knew exactly what her relevant folklore was?
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Re: So, who is Li Ming?

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed May 02, 2018 4:49 pm

I literally have no idea! I've never heard a legend that sounds vaguely familiar to it nor can I find any references to her in any of the usual places on the interwebz! As far as I can tell it is a name and persona invented just for the game!
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Re: So, who is Li Ming?

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Wed May 02, 2018 5:56 pm

Well, an update, I was answered off-forum by someone else who said that Li Ming was one of several fictional characters added to the original "Legend of Heroes" game by Koei, starring Liu Bei. In the early game, Liu Bei is tasked with putting down bandits in Xuzhou, who wind up joining him after being defeated. Li Ming was one of the bandits, the most useful one as she's a beast tamer unit.

So that would explain why she carries over into this version of Legend of Cao Cao. A callback to an earlier game in the series. But there is apparently no historical or folklore background for her.
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium