New Cao Cao tomb Discovered

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

New Cao Cao tomb Discovered

Unread postby Tao Jun » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:59 pm

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/ ... ed-chinese

What do you guys make of this? If I remember correctly the last one turned out to be Cao Huan's or something like that, but people seem to be convinced that this one is the real deal.
Tao Jun
Tyro

Re: New Cao Cao tomb Discovered

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:17 pm

I hadn't heard about it! Very exciting! Even if it isn't Cao Cao than the items that are in the tomb will help develop our wider understanding of the period at the time!
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:46 pm

I was sceptical but reading that article gave me hope it might indeed be Cao Cao (and Ang), even if it isn't Cao Cao then hopefully it is a figure that allows historians and archaeologists to improve the knowledge of the era
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:26 pm

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing the link.

Time to add another item to my "Things to see before I die" list.
Jia Nanfeng
Initiate

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:31 pm

Neat but this is the first I have heard of Cao Pi defying his father's orders for a simple burial?
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:05 am

There was a tomb being found back in '09 that many archaeologists believed to be Cao Cao's so clearly the belief of Cao Pi defying his fathers wishes is widespread.
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:39 am

Fair enough but I feel like until things are verified with a posh tomb used to bury Cao Cao, it's just an educated guess from my perspective since there seems to be no evidence in historical records.

Plus I seem to recall that the last potential discovery - I am guessing the Cao Huan one mentioned by OP - was actually comparatively humble but was believed to have been Cao Cao's.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby CaTigeReptile » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:25 pm

I'm inclined to think that that the "bury me in a modest tomb" thing is more likely to have just been a duly pious request not meant to be taken seriously than I am that Cao Pi went against his dear father's dying wishes, so the lavishness of the tomb doesn't make me skeptical. I think it's really incredible that there were remains, and the age matched up with Cao Cao, and there was a young man who also matched up, but given the eagerness with which local archaeologists are wont to claim that their pet gravesite is someone extremely famous whose museum would bring in a lot of money to the local area (such as what happened with the other Cao Cao (Cao Huan's) tomb), I'm inclined to wait for scholarly rebuttals to this claim first. What I want to know is . . . are there artifacts?!?

Also inclined to say that they should be looking for the mural of Yu Jin, but it's too soon for that joke
CaTigeReptile
Langzhong

Unread postby Terranigma Freak » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:04 pm

I wonder if Dian Wei is buried nearby. I vaguely recalled something about Dian Wei being practically treated as family by Cao Cao after his death, but I might be mixed up with someone else.
Terranigma Freak
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium