Early Medieval China Journal

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Early Medieval China Journal

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:09 pm

As promised this is the email I recieved today:

Dear Sun Fin, (Again not my real name)

Thanks for writing. My apologies for taking a little while to get back to you.

Of course it is no problem to sign up for the journal and join the Early Medieval China Group. We are happy to have anyone who is interested in scholarship from the period become a member! Our members are all over the world, so being in the UK is not an issue. However, please note that volume 23 has already been published, and if you join right now, we will not be able to send you a paper copy of the journal. Instead, we can do one of two things, either credit your account for vol. 24 (which will be published this fall), or credit your account for volume 23 and give you electronic access to the journal without a paper copy. However, you will have to renew again this fall when the call for subscriptions to volume 24 goes out. Please note that either way, you will eventually have electronic access to past issues available online in PDF format.

Please let me know what you'd like to do, and I will process your membership accordingly.

Out of curiosity, what online community do you belong to? It sounds like a good group.

All the best,

Matt

I'm planning on going back to him tomorrow saying that I'll hold off and sign up in the fall when I can get a paper copy of Vol. 24.

Exciting to know that you do get historic back access in .pdf form though! He didn't answer about getting hands on paper copies of older editions so I'll ask that again in my repose.

It's also a chance to tell an academic about about our community! Very much planning on making the most of that!

I'll keep you updated on further dialogue between us! :D
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:28 pm

Thanks for sharing the reply!

It's a shame that you don't get the issue that was recently published. I too would just wait for the upcoming issue. Having the entire PDF backlog is great but it sounds like you won't get it right away (he said "eventually"); maybe you have to wait until the next issue?

If you tell them about the community, I should take back what I said earlier about Farmer. :lol: He does good work and I enjoy reading it! ...He just has some inaccuracies sometimes, such as saying Sima Yu was conceived prior to Sima Zhong's marriage (it was six years after), or saying Sima Yu committed suicide (he was deposed and assassinated), or suggesting Jia Nanfeng formally adopted Han Weizu (it wasn't adoption and the plan was dropped), and so on... :oops:
Jia Nanfeng
Student

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:59 am

Yeah that was my understanding of that phrase but I'll seek clarification on that too!

I was going to wait for you to respond and see if you wanted to edit your post before I sent him the email :lol:
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby waywardauthor » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:51 am

I think it'd be great if we could wrangle a few of the academics to come here and join in on some conversations. Perhaps they have students that would be interested in joining in as well?

Best,
Alone I lean under the wispy shade of an aged tree,
Scornfully I raise to parted lips a cup of warm wine,
Longingly I cast an empty vessel aside those exposed roots,
And leave behind forgotten memories and forsaken dreams.
waywardauthor
Scholar

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:05 am

waywardauthor wrote:I think it'd be great if we could wrangle a few of the academics to come here and join in on some conversations. Perhaps they have students that would be interested in joining in as well?

That would be really exciting! It might also see projects like Forndan's maps and Taishi Ci's ZZTJ translations get the credit they deserve!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby CaTigeReptile » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:58 pm

I'm so used to now having the ability to 'like' something without putting in a verbal response! This is very exciting and I'm really glad so many people are contributing so many new things. It'd be really cool to have more people join us, too! Tell us how the journal is - obviously you can't necessarily share the articles but still! I love general information about this time period too because it does help put things in context.
CaTigeReptile
Langzhong

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:06 pm

Sun Fin wrote:Yeah that was my understanding of that phrase but I'll seek clarification on that too!

I was going to wait for you to respond and see if you wanted to edit your post before I sent him the email :lol:

I’ll edit the tone because I was in a bad mood. :lol: I’m standing my ground on the facts, though!

Actually if he or others came here and schooled me by proving me wrong, that’d be awesome too. :lol:
Jia Nanfeng
Student

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:28 pm

I've just replied!

Dear Dr Wells,

Thank you so much for taking the time to get back to me!

That's wonderful news about being to sign up, however I think I'll delay until membership for next year. What date in the fall does the new year for membership begin? I'll put it in my diary!

I noticed you said that I'd gain electronic access to past issues 'eventually', when would that happen if I signed up in the Fall? Is it possible to pay for paper copies of previous journals or are they permanently out of print?

The aforementioned online community is a discussion forum called Scholars of Shen Zhou which is a subsection of a website called Kongming's Archives. Whilst it is probably fair to say that many of the members originally discovered the history through Koei's computer game series (myself included) most of us are now far more interested in the history! Some have even gone on to do formal academic study in various aspects of Chinese language and history.

Some of the content on the website and forum include translations of biographies from the Sanguozhi, one dedicated member has translated chapters 79-92 of the Zizhi Tongjian and two others have collaborated to create some remarkable maps! This is in addition to 15 years worth of discussions and other shared work! My own contributions are far more humble - I've attempted to create a list of all English language sources on the era - I was excited to find the list on your website which has ones I'd not heard of before! If you would like to have a look then the website address is: http://kongming.net/

Once again thank you for your time, I look forward to hearing from you,

Sun Fin
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Han » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:07 am

Isnt it

the-scholars.com
Liu Bei did nothing wrong.
Han
Sage

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:59 am

No, it was a deliberate decision to link him to the main site. After all that is where the majority of SGZ bios are!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium