Gan Ning, why do people like him?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Gan Ning, why do people like him?

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:58 am

This segment from the SGZ kind of implies he didn't reform while in Wu, his behaviour was just overlooked because he was a talented general/warrior:

Although Ning was rough and bloodthirsty, he was outright and had good ideas; he valued property lightly but respected talented men, and was able to kept his fighting men well.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Han » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:37 pm

Gan Ning never massacred a province unlike Xiahou Cao so... ... ...

Also, people like Gan Ning because he was a legitimate badass. Seriously.

Also, Gan Ning seemed to change his ways. According to wiki: Gan Ning eventually decided to stop plundering and pillaging. He read some books, including ideas from the Hundred Schools of Thought.

The translated bio in kongming has: He stopped robbing and read quite a few works of the Masters.
Liu Bei did nothing wrong.
Han
Scholar

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:48 pm

Gan Ning was never in a position to massacre a province. He may have stopped being a pirate and become a general instead but his conduct under Sun Quan was still not great:

Although Ning was rough and bloodthirsty, he was outright and had good ideas; he valued property lightly but respected talented men, and was able to kept his fighting men well.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:50 pm

Personally I really liked him at first. Because of DW and Rotk games of course. I think it was only when DW7 was out that I learnt about him historywise. I find it hard to respect him now. And yes, who knows what he could've done if he was in position of Cao Cao.
There's no trick to it. I'm not using an orbment, it's not magic...and I'm not using an artifact, either. I just will fire to appear, and it does.
McBurn
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qu Hui » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:47 pm

Sun Quan generally let his officers get away with far too much if they were his favorites, so that he never took steps to stop any potential misbehavior on Gan Ning's part doesn't mean much. See also: Pan Zhang, who went around murdering his fellow officers for their wealth and who Sun Quan never lifted a finger to stop.

As for why people like Gan Ning, couldn't tell you. I've always detested the guy.
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium