Updating the SGZ biography translations

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Updating the SGZ biography translations

Unread postby CaTigeReptile » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:26 pm

Hi, so as we know, KMA has been the main, sometimes only, and always most awesome source of English-language translations of SGZ biographies and other information on the internet for 15 years. I think that a lot of us know that a good amount of the SGZ translations on KMA over the years have ended up having some translation errors.

Now, there are a lot of translations on KMA, and the bulk of them get the bulk of everything right, so I think it's a waste and redundancy to retranslate them in their entirety as I know people are starting to do. I think it would be a good idea if we update them.

We've got lots of people active on the forums who are translating and able to translate. In a forum people can post their corrections and other people can look them over. That way, the bios are updated and more accurate than before, they get multiple sets of eyes on them, and they can be put up better than ever.

Any thoughts?
CaTigeReptile
Langzhong

Re: Updating the SGZ biography translations

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:15 pm

I like that idea. For a while I posted my translations (most of which I find problematic and, uh, not adequate now) on the forum first for feedback, but I think if I were to do this again I'd post the original text too like what Taishi Ci 2.0 is doing in the Sixteen Kingdoms thread. I've come a long way as a translator, and with experience I am now way less certain about things that I used to think I know before. Especially with texts that were written like 1700 years ago, no one can really be certain about every thing all the time, so having extra eyes to check things over is a Good Thing.

But of course this will only be maximally Helpful if James is open to updating KMA (which is another kettle of fish, because some of the original translators might not be contactable anymore, and what is the threshold for editing anyway?). :pika:
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Taishi Ci 2.0 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:17 pm

I'll get in on the action with this coincidentally just updated Guo Huai SGZ biography. Hopefully we can have more things along the same lines. But obviously we also don't want to make all new errors, so if anyone spots any here, please let me know either here or there.
"You have attacked us before, and we survived! You cannot defeat us. Submit!"
"We have. You did. We can. No."
Taishi Ci 2.0
Grand Historian Friendly to Cats

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:03 am

Added the new Guo Huai sgz to the encyclopaedia, if you know any others then give me a kick. Would be great to see the sgz's being updated
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:11 am

I can't contribute, my Chinese is non-existent, (let alone my ancient Chinese) but I'm so excited by all the historical projects that are taking place on SoSZ at the moment! All of you are fantastic!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Taishi Ci 2.0 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:26 am

Taishi Ci 2.0

Unread postby James » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:11 pm

Lady Wu wrote:But of course this will only be maximally Helpful if James is open to updating KMA (which is another kettle of fish, because some of the original translators might not be contactable anymore, and what is the threshold for editing anyway?). :pika:

I'm happy to add new SGZ biographies and general translation revisions to the website. The later would certainly be best if it was a systematic approach—one biography focused on and revised rather than odd corrections here and there across the site (which adds a lot of labor given the translation to code).

As for which biographies can be revised, maybe we need to decide that on an author-by-author basis? For example, a biography from the old Sanguo Frontier (I think there may be a few) ought not to be revised while certainly a number of our our friends here might be much more interested in changes.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby CaTigeReptile » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:12 am

James wrote:
Lady Wu wrote:But of course this will only be maximally Helpful if James is open to updating KMA (which is another kettle of fish, because some of the original translators might not be contactable anymore, and what is the threshold for editing anyway?). :pika:

I'm happy to add new SGZ biographies and general translation revisions to the website. The later would certainly be best if it was a systematic approach—one biography focused on and revised rather than odd corrections here and there across the site (which adds a lot of labor given the translation to code).

As for which biographies can be revised, maybe we need to decide that on an author-by-author basis? For example, a biography from the old Sanguo Frontier (I think there may be a few) ought not to be revised while certainly a number of our our friends here might be much more interested in changes.

That was definitely a concern of mine, though I was talking about the biographies published on KMA mostly since the rest aren't, well, KMA's -- so it becomes how to deal with, like, people whose translations are on KMA but who haven't been seen around in a while (to my knowledge at least), like Jiuwan. Maybe some of their old e-mail addresses still work as listed.
(Also, calling out Lady Wu's hotmail e-mail address.)

What would be even better is if we can get in touch with some of these old members, we could even see if they wanted to help/participate.

Also, awesome, TC!
Last edited by CaTigeReptile on Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaTigeReptile
Langzhong

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:55 am

Taishi Ci 2.0 wrote:Here's a draft one for Qian Zhao.

Now got a draft Tian Yu one
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Taishi Ci 2.0 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:32 pm

Here you go, Tian Yu.
Taishi Ci 2.0

Next