Expletives #*%<~ !?!

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Expletives #*%<~ !?!

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:23 pm

Hi all, I'm having a good holiday and I'm not reading any posts but a question occurred to me and I wanted to cast it out there before I lost it in the mess of camp life.

Do we know what swear words/curses/insults would have been used by people of the Later Han?

Thanks all, looking forward to seeing your replies in a couple of weeks!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Expletives #*%<~ !?!

Unread postby mendedties » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:40 am

Man, I was really hoping this thread would get some answers. :devil:

Maybe the ritual propriety of Chinese culture was just too efficient a filter to leave us with anything good in this department.
“I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed consummation." -- C.S. Lewis
mendedties
Assistant

Unread postby Xiahou Ren » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:25 am

How about cussing in the novel as a reference?
Though I think the novel mostly uses implied disrespect (Zhuge Liang) or action (Mi Heng).
Few exception is Zhang Fei. "Slaves with three names" is pretty epic.
Xiahou Ren
Assistant

Unread postby DragonAtma » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:23 am

Don't forget the family slave!
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:03 am

That's a good idea Xiahou Ren, I think I'll go through the novel and see if I Dan find any themes. For example it seems like calling someone a slave was particularly offensive! Not that should come as much of a surprise I guess!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby CaTigeReptile » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:01 pm

There's the Zhuge Ke "eat horsesh-t" thing. Also, lots of bandits and pirates gave themselves nicknames with "slave" in them, along with other things. If insults instead of just expletives will do, then bandit names are a good place to start.
Last edited by CaTigeReptile on Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaTigeReptile
Langzhong

Unread postby Fornadan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:21 pm

A bit later than what you asked for, but during the 3rd and 4th centuries people in Wu started to refer to northerners as cang傖 which should mean something like oafish lout
Translations from the Book of Jin: http://bookofjin.tumblr.com/index
Fornadan
Assistant

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:33 am

I like that word cang. You can get a lot of venom in that. I might take that and change its meaning and its context slightly. Hmmmmmm.....
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium