New Three Kingdoms Novels written by T.P.M Thorne

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: New Three Kingdoms Novels written by T.P.M Thorne

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:18 pm

greencactaur wrote:I look forward to reading your novel :).

Thanks buddy! I'm looking forward to it being ready for you to read as well :D.
Last edited by Sun Fin on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:53 pm

I've finished reading East of the River!

It's a mammoth book, telling the Sun clan's story from the Yellow Turban campaign to the death of Yuan Shu. There is a lot of positives - I loved the presentation of so many of the characters (like Sun Ce, Zhou Yu, Sun Jian and he captured Sun Quan perfectly in my opinion!) and it's well researched. It's very much written for a fan of the 3K era, anyone else would get lot in the list of names, which is great for me and most of you! However that is also it's weakness. In my opinion he tries to do to much and doesn't give his wider cast or individual events the time I would like!

I'm planning on asking for Yellow Sky for Christmas which is an indicator of enjoyment I guess. I definitely preferred this one to his book about Zhuge Liang. In all fairness that's likely to be because the lives of Sun Jian and Ce are my favourite part of the 3K era whereas I find the period after Liu Bei's death lacking in drama and excitement.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TPMThorne » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:47 am

Hello all,

I've had a quick read of the comments on my work, generally positive which is nice. Much appreciated.

Sun Fin
Thank you for informing me about this thread.

The principal reason for responding to you quickly is because I don't know whether you wanted to hold off on getting hold of "Yellow Sky" if the Sun clan's story is of more interest to you (I only say this because I noticed that you said that you didn't get as much out of Crouching Dragon and find the later years of the era less engaging). I am close to releasing a second book about the Suns that covers 199-210CE: I hope to have the admin side of it dealt with by end of January at the latest, so if you wanted to wait...

Also, I'm glad that you generally enjoyed East of the River. That was completed during a bit of a 'busy time', shall we say, so there are a lot of things that I might have done differently, but expanding on individual characters (except, perhaps, a 'Gan Ning in Yi' episode to better set him up for later) any more than I have is not one of them, if only for sanity's sake.

Oh, and I look forward to seeing your work next year!

capnnereflr
You asked what form my work takes:

My work is generally close to the history, but I do occasionally include anecdotal stories that are probably outright fiction (the Cao Cao/Lu Boshe & Cao Cao/Qin Bonan episodes spring to mind) if they lend to the character development, since I am writing historical fiction. I include a lot of characters, some of whom could be 'condensed into compsite characters': that is something that is criticised a fair bit, I notice, but since I am writing the history of the era rather than any one figure at this point, I want to give the whole thing a sense of scope and show the small figures and how they sometimes have a big impact on history for one single action (or, at times, unfairly pass by without recognition).

So maybe I'd be daring and say that I strive for 85-90% adherence to history?

Again, I look forward to seeing your work out there.

Xu Yuan
I will, at some point, answer you properly as befits your extensive and constructive scrutiny (some of my answers to Sun Fin and capnnereflr may be relevant): for now, though, I will just confirm that my structuring choices (page count especially) are a combination of 'shelf feng shui' -- if they are all the same size they sit nicely next to each other -- with the restrictions of self-publishing, i.e. book size v.s. margin of profit.

Thank you for your thoughts on my character development: that is the main drive for me, as history is just 'a collection of things that happened' otherwise. Your mentioning working the Battle of Guandu into a play reminds me that 'Crouching Dragon' started out as a script for an entirely different type of project and had to be reworked: turning what was, in effect, stage direction into blocks of narrative was a chore. I do still write reams of the dialogue cold and work the narrative in afterwards a lot, even now. Old habits die hard!

My choices for dialogue presentation are not to everyone's tastes, I know, but I was looking to eliminate ambiguity with regards to the tone, context, and (sound) volume of the dialogue, and it adds unique behaviour to characters that is clear, if a little 'untidy'. Bold = regular shouting, e.g. during a battle scene or raised voices in an argument, CAPS+bold = hysterical screaming due to distress/anger or, less often, strained shouting between, say, a man on the ground and a man on the wall of a city with other background noise. It helps me sustain the mood in the narrative.

----

Thanks again to all for taking the time to comment: I'd better get back to the proof-reading on what I shall tentatively refer to here as 'Sun clan part II'. I also have the fourth and final part of the 'Fall of the Han' set to get back to and a website restructuring to complete, and time is not my friend!

Regards,

T. P. M. Thorne
TPMThorne
Tyro

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:07 pm

Thanks for letting me know, I'm sure I will pick up Sun clan part 2 as well, as I intend to read all your works at some point I'll still grab Yellow Sky this Christmas :D

I have to see its a novel experience writing a review about a book and having the author respond to it :lol:.
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium