SGZ, JS, HHS biographies of Lady Bu, Sima Biao and Wa/Japan

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

SGZ, JS, HHS biographies of Lady Bu, Sima Biao and Wa/Japan

Unread postby plunged » Fri May 26, 2017 9:23 am

Hello all,

Happy to share three more translations :-) All small ones though, from three different sources.

The first one is the biography of Lady Bu, from Sanguo zhi, who you probably all know was Sun Quan's wife.
 English translation | original Chinese text

The second one is the biography of Sima Biao, from Jin shu. He got my interest when me and tigertally made a list of texts cited by Pei Songzhi in Records of the Three Kingdoms some years ago and his name and/or his texts appeared quite frequently in there.

The third one is the biography of the Wa people, from Hou Han shu. Wa is a former name of Japan and home of the pretty well-known queen Himiko. My personal favourite of the three. Maybe the SGZ version of this biography should get a translation too, I think it has information the HHS version doesn't have.

So, what do you guys think of these?
Please have a look at: Gongjin's Campaign Memorials: a Three Kingdoms Wiki.
Now also has translations of: He Jin, Huangfu Song, Zhu Jun, Lu Zhi, Cheng Pu, Sima Shi and many more.

Read Romance of the Three Kingdoms online (with corrected names)
plunged
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: SGZ, JS, HHS biographies of Lady Bu, Sima Biao and Wa/Ja

Unread postby DragonAtma » Fri May 26, 2017 3:45 pm

While SIma Biao's page says he's biologically related to the dynasty, it doesn't say how; Wikipedia claims he's the grandson of Sima Jin, one of Sima Yi's borothers (thus making him SIma Yi's grandnephew and Sima Yan's second cousin).

Also, in the Wa page you wrote "Yan Empire" -- I think it should be Yin (after Shang dynasty's capital), not Yan.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby plunged » Fri May 26, 2017 5:54 pm

DragonAtma wrote:While SIma Biao's page says he's biologically related to the dynasty, it doesn't say how; Wikipedia claims he's the grandson of Sima Jin, one of Sima Yi's borothers (thus making him SIma Yi's grandnephew and Sima Yan's second cousin).

Also, in the Wa page you wrote "Yan Empire" -- I think it should be Yin (after Shang dynasty's capital), not Yan.

Well, it's a direct translation of Sima Biao's biography, and Wikipedia's article about him is not. For example the Sima Jin 司馬進 you mention does not appear in Biao's biography. At least there is no '進' in the one at my wiki, nor at the one at Wikipedia.

But to answer your question: Sima Yi is an uncle of Sima Mu, Biao's father. So Sima Yi is a granduncle of Sima Biao. So I think that makes Sima Biao a third cousin of Sima Yan (not so good in family trees though). But thanks for pointing this out, I should have a note about this in the translation.

I also fixed the Yan/Yin (殷) thing, thanks!
Now also has translations of: He Jin, Huangfu Song, Zhu Jun, Lu Zhi, Cheng Pu, Sima Shi and many more.

plunged
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DragonAtma » Sat May 27, 2017 12:21 am

Fortunately, we're allowed to add commentary to the SGZ translations!

That said, if Sima Mu is the nephew of Sima Yi, then we have this:

Code: Select all
       Sima Fang
     ______|______
    |             |
Sima Yi       Sima Jin  (brothers)
    |             |
Sima Zhao     Sima Mu   (first cousins)
    |             |
Sima Yan      Sima Biao (second cousins)

For reference, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sima_Biao is the page that said Sima Biao is Sima Jin's grandson.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby plunged » Sat May 27, 2017 6:31 pm

yes, luckily we can. I've added some nice comments to these and other articles thanks to replies I got here and other places.

And thanks for that tree. That clears things up.

plunged
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon May 29, 2017 8:34 am

Thanks, was intresting to see what the Chinese felt about Japan and others
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium