Information on Tao Qian and later Han Xu Province

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Information on Tao Qian and later Han Xu Province

Unread postby capnnerefir » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:47 pm

Shao Shanshu wrote:Hello, gentlemen.

I've got a question about governor Tao in the days of Dong Zhuo. Various sources tell different stories. I know he sent troops to aid Zhu Jun agains the prime minister, yet some speak about his "general alliance with Dong Zhuo", but I can not find anything to support that idea.

Thanks.

I haven't found any evidence to suggest that Tao Qian supported Dong Zhuo in any way. He didn't join the coalition against him, but neither did Liu Yu, Liu Yan, Chen Wen (other provinicial heads), or Gongsun Zan. And Tao Qian did support Zhu Jun's revolt against Dong Zhuo. So I don't see any basis for calling them allies.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shao Shanshu » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:50 am

Thank you for the answer.

I understand that Wiki is of limited reliability, but here it claims it was Wang Lang who advised governor Tao to have "a general alliance with Dong Zhuo, the warlord who controlled the Han central government". Should it mean sending tribute to the post-Dong-Zhuo government of Li Jue instead? :?:
Last edited by Shao Shanshu on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shao Shanshu
Apprentice

Unread postby capnnerefir » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:23 am

That's correct. Wang Lang and Zhao Yu advised him to make peace with Li Jue (after trying to establish an alliance against him). This gained Tao Qian recognition as Governor of Xu, a marquisate, and title as a general.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium