JS biography of Sima Shi (translation)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

JS biography of Sima Shi (translation)

Unread postby plunged » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:24 pm

Hello everyone,

Pretty happy to announce another translation! This time of the Annals of Emperor Jing, aka Sima Shi!

Sima Shi, as you all probably know, was the son of Sima Yi and uncle of the Jin dynasty founder Sima Yan. He deposed Cao Fang to set the young Cao Mao on the throne and defeated the rebellion led by Guanqiu Jian and Wen Qin.

If you wanna check out the translation, please click here:

http://threekingdoms.wikia.com/wiki/Sim ... C%E5%B8%AB

His biography is in History of Jin chapter 2. If you wanna read the Chinese version, please click here.

Please enjoy!
Please check out: Gongjin's Campaign Memorials: a Three Kingdoms Wiki.
Now with translations of: He Jin, Huangfu Song, Zhu Jun, Lu Zhi, Cheng Pu, Sima Shi, Lady Wang and many more.

Read Romance of the Three Kingdoms online (with corrected names)
plunged
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: JS biography of Sima Shi (translation)

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:39 pm

Thanks Plunged! The later period does interest me less if I am being entirely honest but I found it interesting to read about the founding of the Jin dynasty.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DragonAtma » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:53 pm

Aha! It mostly looks good, but two things:

(1) At three points you wrote "fleed"; I'm sure you meant "flee" or "fled".
(2) At one point you mention the young entertainer Guo Huai.... only it links to the same Guo Huai who had so many successes he was put on par with thew Three Excellencies (and, at the time, was in his 60's!).
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:32 am

Nice reputation seems unusual wording?

Thank you for another intresting work, one can see the bits where Jin might just be selling a bit of propaganda and intresting the details of the accusations against Cao Huan that I had never seen before, also made me realize the level of Sima Shi's skills as a tactician
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby plunged » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:34 pm

DragonAtma wrote:Aha! It mostly looks good, but two things:

(1) At three points you wrote "fleed"; I'm sure you meant "flee" or "fled".
(2) At one point you mention the young entertainer Guo Huai.... only it links to the same Guo Huai who had so many successes he was put on par with thew Three Excellencies (and, at the time, was in his 60's!).

Oops, those are pretty silly errors :P So thanks for pointing them out! I just corrected them.

Dong Zhou wrote:Nice reputation seems unusual wording?

Thank you for another intresting work, one can see the bits where Jin might just be selling a bit of propaganda and intresting the details of the accusations against Cao Huan that I had never seen before, also made me realize the level of Sima Shi's skills as a tactician

I fixed it by just deleting the word 'nice'. Thanks!

Sun Fin wrote:Thanks Plunged! The later period does interest me less if I am being entirely honest but I found it interesting to read about the founding of the Jin dynasty.

In all honesty it's not my favourite either :P But I thought it might trigger my interest more with some translations (there are so few Jin shu translations right now). Decline of Han, with the Turbans and Eunuchs, is probably my favourite period.
Please check out: Gongjin's Campaign Memorials: a Three Kingdoms Wiki.
Now with translations of: He Jin, Huangfu Song, Zhu Jun, Lu Zhi, Cheng Pu, Sima Shi, Lady Wang and many more.

Read Romance of the Three Kingdoms online (with corrected names)
plunged
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby capnnerefir » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:43 pm

Excellent to finally have a translation of Sima Shi's bio. It doesn't necessarily reveal much that I haven't dug up before, but it does appear that he was more involved with the defense of Hefei than I realized.

Thanks for your hard work!
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium