China map province help

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

China map province help

Unread postby Okawoa » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:17 pm

Hi, we are a team of modders involved in the Crusader Kings 2 Tianxia project. We focuses on China from 700-1400. We would like to know if our map for China is good and what parts of China should have more provinces. As you see we have overfed Korea :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/RhQrWsA.png
This is the image of our map, could you please tell me or scribble on the map what areas should be improved.
Okawoa
Tyro

Re: China map province help

Unread postby waywardauthor » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:53 pm

Jolt and a couple others have done some really great work on this, take a look. Most of the provinces in the north and central part of China can be made into ducal titles for CK2 if you want to include everything.
Alone I lean under the wispy shade of an aged tree,
Scornfully I raise to parted lips a cup of warm wine,
Longingly I cast an empty vessel aside those exposed roots,
And leave behind forgotten memories and forsaken dreams.
waywardauthor
Sage

Unread postby DragonAtma » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:50 pm

As luck would have it, there's already a CK2 China mod (for the three kingdoms period, no less!)

the ModDB page
the Paradox Plaza page (requires a login)

IIRC, the map they use is on the paradoxplaza page, a few pages in. And in either case, the general rule is "the denser an area's population is, the denser the counties are in that area". It's the same reason why, as of 189, the physically smallest commanderies -- and the five physically smallest zhous -- are all in the chinese plain!
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Okawoa » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:13 am

Thank you ever so much. These maps might be known to our team, but what is best is general indications how we can improve a quite empty middle kingdom.
Okawoa
Tyro

Unread postby Jolt » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:04 am

It depends on what you're looking for in a Chinese map.

If you're trying to balance provinces/holdings with population, you have clearly largely overfed provinces to Korea and Japan, and need to bring a lot of them to China.
Jolt
Master

Unread postby Okawoa » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:06 am

As you said culling Korean/Japanese counties is tough but possibly the only option. I deal with Korea in the mod but I'm open to suggestions how we can get the right historical picture. I followed your approach by looking at population maps such as Tang maps (700)
http://www.chinatouristmaps.com/assets/ ... ty-Map.jpg
and Song maps
http://www.chinatouristmaps.com/assets/ ... ty-Map.jpg

They seem to suggest Korea was massively underdeveloped compared to China (which has me double checking my facts). I am unsure what is propaganda and what is not. Would you be interested in joining our team to straighten us out?
Okawoa
Tyro

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium