JS biography of Chen Shou (translation)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

JS biography of Chen Shou (translation)

Unread postby plunged » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:50 pm

Hello everyone,

Another translation, this time not from the History of the Later Han but from the History of Jin! Chen Shou's biography. I hadn't seen a complete translation of his biography yet, though bits of it are translated in some of Robert Joe's work and Wikipedia. It's not very long, but pretty interesting nonetheless (imo).

If you wanna read it, click here.

It's a translation of chapter 82, section 52 of the Collected Biographies liezhuan 列傳 of the History of Jin, which you can see here.
Please have a look at: Gongjin's Campaign Memorials: a Three Kingdoms Wiki.
Now also has translations of: He Jin, Huangfu Song, Zhu Jun, Lu Zhi, Lady Bu, Sima Shi, Wa, Chen Shou, Sima Biao and Lü Bu
plunged
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: JS biography of Chen Shou (translation)

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:52 pm

I don't know if there is a way to format the first paragraph better as it ends up looking squeezed? Might read better if split into two paragraphs?

That was, even for someone who has read Empress and Consorts, an intresting read that fleshed out some parts of him I had only minimal knowledge of.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby DragonAtma » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:53 pm

As luck would have it, I was reading about late officers in the past couple weeks... including Chen Shou. According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chen_Shou (quoting Qing dynasty writer Pan Mei 潘眉) the Ding brothers were skipped not because of a bribe request but because they were irrelevant. And quoting Qing dynasty writer Zhao Yi, it says that CHen Shou highly praised Zhuge Liang's political ability.

Also, the Yuankang years would be 291-297 not 191-197. ;)

Finally, there were speculations that Chen Shi (who was punished by Zhuge Liang by being shaved) was Chen Shou's father; however, there isn't enough evidence to know things one way or the other.

For the curious, Xiahou Zhan was Xiahou Yuan's great-grandson (via Xiahou Wei), and Xun Xu was Xun Yu's cousin, once removed.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby plunged » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:03 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:I don't know if there is a way to format the first paragraph better as it ends up looking squeezed? Might read better if split into two paragraphs?

That was, even for someone who has read Empress and Consorts, an intresting read that fleshed out some parts of him I had only minimal knowledge of.

Ye perhaps I should. In the original Chinese text, it was one whole paragraph too, and I just kept that format.

DragonAtma wrote:Also, the Yuankang years would be 291-297 not 191-197. ;)

oops! well, I guess that's because I always write about the early pre-200 years :P Thanks for pointing it out.

And yes, I guess I should mention Chen Shi somewhere, even though, like you said, he's not proven to be Shou's dad.

And the fact that Chen acknowledged Zhuge's political skills should also be mentioned somewhere. Good points. I'm not sure the Dings were irrelevant? I don't know that much about them. But there are other men who could've gotten a bio, but didn't.
Last edited by plunged on Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please have a look at: Gongjin's Campaign Memorials: a Three Kingdoms Wiki.
Now also has translations of: He Jin, Huangfu Song, Zhu Jun, Lu Zhi, Lady Bu, Sima Shi, Wa, Chen Shou, Sima Biao and Lü Bu
plunged
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:52 pm

Really interesting! I don't know as much about the later period and despite the fact that Chen Shou is our main source of knowledge form the era I knew remarkably little about his life! Thanks plunged :).
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium