Paper on Xun Yu for Historical Conference

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Paper on Xun Yu for Historical Conference

Unread postby waywardauthor » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:36 am

Xu Yuan wrote:That is exceptionally useful information on why the Han Court lost so much influence after Xun Yu's death. I shouldn't discount the importance of Wei Feng to its final demise.

Wikipedia is becoming a little interesting, though take that only as far as you want and can back up elsewhere.

Xun Shuang was one of the three excellencies of the later Han Dynasty, mediated actively between Dong Zhuo and other Han officials, but after the move to Chang'an conspired with Wang Yun to remove him fearing that he would destroy the Han Dynasty. He was Xun Yu's uncle, and it may be argued that he was a precursor to Xun Yu in so far as their ability to work with military men. Shuang was willing to cooperate with Dong and act as a mediator between him and his subjects, right up until Dong became too dangerous to the Han's continued existence.

Xun Can, a son of Xun Yu's, gave an appraisal of his father and their cousin Xun You. He was a scholar who did not take an active role in politics, and praised Xun You for maintaining a relatively obscure profile over his father, who was too public in his service. He was noted for being different from his brothers for his preference for Daoism, which his brothers rejected in favor of Confucianism. This can also be paired with his relative closeness to the Wei dynasty, marrying Cao Hong's daughter, and his close friendship with Xiahou Xuan.

Xun Yi, Xun Can's older brother (one of many), had minor appointment under the Wei Dynasty, but after Sima Yi rose to power he seemed to become far more engaged in politics. He was chosen to be a tutor for Cao Fang, acted in military and political roles, and was deeply connected with the Simas. When the Jin Dynasty was still a question, as Sima Shi and Zhao were in control of the government, they left him in charge of the capital when they lead the army to put down Zhuge Dan's rebellion. Eventually he was made into a Duke, not too dissimilar from those who earned the noble title on their road to usurpation. Generally regarded as a good man, he was condemned for having too close an association with Jia Chong and Xun Xu.
Alone I lean under the wispy shade of an aged tree,
Scornfully I raise to parted lips a cup of warm wine,
Longingly I cast an empty vessel aside those exposed roots,
And leave behind forgotten memories and forsaken dreams.
waywardauthor
Master

Re: Paper on Xun Yu for Historical Conference

Unread postby waywardauthor » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:20 pm

How's the paper coming along?
Alone I lean under the wispy shade of an aged tree,
Scornfully I raise to parted lips a cup of warm wine,
Longingly I cast an empty vessel aside those exposed roots,
And leave behind forgotten memories and forsaken dreams.
waywardauthor
Master

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium