Funniest SGYY moment?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Funniest SGYY moment?

Unread postby Advisor of Darkness » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:14 am

Yeah, we know the Romance of the Three Kingdoms is dark and really serious, but sometimes there are moment that's simply funny.

Who do you guys think are the funniest SGYY moments?

Mines are: Mi Heng (ofc), Sima Yi pretending to be deaf, and pretty much everything involving Zhuge Liang 80% of the time. I'm sure there are others, but those are my top three.

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk
My principle is to not have one at all
Advisor of Darkness
Tyro

Re: Funniest SGYY moment?

Unread postby jonathan_hili » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:50 am

I always chuckle inside at the episode where Zhuge Liang uses the wooden oxen and gliding horses, and the reactions by the Cao Wei troops.
jonathan_hili
Tyro

Re: Funniest SGYY moment?

Unread postby ivolga » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:53 am

I've read the Romance in Russian, so this is probably a translation thing (besides, the Russian and the English translation seem to be based on different editions of SGYY), but the scene where Cao Cao deals with Consort Dong is morbidly hilarious. The emperor and the empress are imploring Cao Cao to spare lady Dong, but he just looks at them and says: "So childish..." (or smth like this; this is not the adequate translation of the Russian expression used there), as if marveling at the stupidity of people who try to play political games, but don't have the guts to face consequences. And then gives the execution order.

Another funny (again, black humor kind of funny) episode was when Cao Cao took Ye and ordered to keep Yuan Shao family - wives, daughters and children, - safe. Enters Cao Pi. This is his first appearance in the text, so there is half a page devoted to the description of his many, many various talents and accomplishments. After finishing it, the reader naturally assumes that now Cao Pi will do something valiant, heroic, or benevolent. And what Cao Pi does immediately after we've read all these praises? He orders his guards to murder all the members of the Yuan household! This is so unexpected, that it's impossible not to chuckle! (But then of course he sees lady Zhen, so everything ends well.)
ivolga
Apprentice

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium