Three Kingdoms related sites in China

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Three Kingdoms related sites in China

Unread postby jonathan_hili » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:04 am

Hi all, I hope the New Year is treating you well. I'd like to discuss possible historical sites in contemporary China that relate to the Three Kingdoms period. Four years ago I attempted to hunt down a number of famous places and tombs using my somewhat inadequate Mandarin and was surprised by how well signposted these sites were - even though locals were often ignorant of such markers on their very doorstep! Ideally, I would love to get together with a group of Three Kingdoms aficionados for a tour of China.

Have you visited these places, taken photos, done research, etc?

I managed to track down the tombs of (in alphabetical order): Fei Yi, Guan Yu (X 2), Hua Tuo, Jia Xu, Jiang Wei, Liu Bei, Lu Su (X 2 - apparently!), Ma Chao, Ma Teng, Pang Tong, Sun Jian, Sun Quan, Taishi Ci, Wang Yun, Zhang Fei, Zhang Liao, Zhao Yun, Zhou Yu, and Zhuge Liang.

Other sites I've located include (again, in alphabetical): Baidicheng; Baling Bridge in Xuchang (where Guan Yu apparently left Cao Cao); Beigu tower and temple (where Liu Bei and Sun Quan apparently met to work out the marriage deal); Cao Cao's former mansion in Xuchang (restored); Changban bridge (or near it); various Three Kingdoms memorials around Chengdu; the reconstructed (presumed) battlefield site of Chibi; Fule Mountain in Mianyang (where Liu Bei and Liu Zhang apparently met together); a number of "residences" and temples to Guan Yu in Jingzhou, Xuchang, Jinan, Xian and Wuhan; various Three Kingdoms memorials around Hanzhong; a park and museum in Hefei with several Three Kingdoms artefacts; Jianmen Pass; historical Jingzhou; the Liu family ancestral temple in Xuzhou; Luo Guanzhong's residence in Taiyuan; ruins and artefacts related to Cao Wei in Luoyang; the historical site of the Xudu capital (in Xuchang); the (apparent) peach garden in Zhuo country where the three brothers swore their covenant, and a temple dedicated to them (especially Liu Bei); Ruiguang pagoda and Yellow Crane Tower (built originally by Sun Quan in Suzhou); the Wuhou (Zhuge Liang) temples in Chengdu, Hanzhong and Nanyang; various Three Kingdoms artefacts in the museums at Wuhan, Ezhou and Xuchang; a temple to Xu Shu in Xiangyang; Zhang Fei temples in Wanzhou and Xuchang; and the reconstructed site of Zhuge Liang's home in Xiangyang.

Obviously the authenticity of many of these places is debatable. So, additionally, please let me know whether you give much credence to the supposed historicity of these locations in China today.

Oh, and if I've posted this in the wrong section, my apologies.
Attachments
100_3494.JPG
Zhuge Liang - larger than life!
100_3494.JPG (125.05 KiB) Viewed 398 times
jonathan_hili
Tyro

Re: Three Kingdoms related sites in China

Unread postby Xu Yuan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:43 am

Ah, who wouldn't love to tour around China visiting these Three Kingdoms sites? It is a fine dream. That is a wonderful collection you've gathered up, I am shocked that Wang Yun of all people still has a tomb standing. I would have thought that Li Jue and friends would have assured that Wang Yun would not receive any sort of honorable burial place. Where is his tomb located, out of curiosity?
As you know security
is mortal's greatest enemy.

SimRTK is back up in a testing phase! Go ahead and give it a look over on the Simzhou forum branch.

http://simrtk.net/index.php
Xu Yuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby jonathan_hili » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:28 am

Wang Yun's tomb is in Xuchang. I found it somewhat surprising myself since I expected him to be buried in the vicinity of Xi'an if anywhere. However, his nephew Wang Ling was pretty high up with Cao Cao so perhaps he had the body properly interred and buried. Here are some pics of the tomb, as well as the charming girls who helped me find it! :D
Attachments
100_4157.JPG
100_4157.JPG (241.38 KiB) Viewed 384 times
100_4154.JPG
100_4154.JPG (239.7 KiB) Viewed 384 times
100_4153.JPG
100_4153.JPG (234.16 KiB) Viewed 384 times
jonathan_hili
Tyro

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:18 pm

Haha I would love to do a trip like this, sadly don't see it happening anytime soon! Did you go to Cao Cao's mansion? Any photos of it either from you or online?
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby jonathan_hili » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:28 pm

Sun Fin wrote:Haha I would love to do a trip like this, sadly don't see it happening anytime soon! Did you go to Cao Cao's mansion? Any photos of it either from you or online?

Don't be disheartened. It isn't a particularly expensive trip and thankfully most of the sites are within taxi or bus distance of a major city.

Here are some pics of Cao Cao's reconstructed mansion. It's very well done and entertaining. In one of the rooms, there's a 3D projection of one of Cao's dancing girls. I especially liked the opera masks in the courtyard - very creative.

I'd like to attach more photos, but I think my quota has been reached.
Attachments
100_4072.JPG
100_4072.JPG (171.37 KiB) Viewed 379 times
100_4025.JPG
100_4025.JPG (114.83 KiB) Viewed 379 times
jonathan_hili
Tyro

Unread postby Jolt » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:10 pm

I might be heading to China in the coming months, and if I do so, I'll be sure to send you a PM over here.

It'll be great to do a few visits to the resting places of the heroes of old.
Jolt
Academic

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:37 pm

jonathan_hili wrote:
Don't be disheartened. It isn't a particularly expensive trip and thankfully most of the sites are within taxi or bus distance of a major city.

Here are some pics of Cao Cao's reconstructed mansion. It's very well done and entertaining. In one of the rooms, there's a 3D projection of one of Cao's dancing girls. I especially liked the opera masks in the courtyard - very creative.

Thank you, those pictures are awesome!

It''s not s much the price as the new wife who has no interest in Chinese history and for whom this wouldn't be her idea of a holiday :lol:
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DragonAtma » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:58 pm

According to Wikipedia, when Han Xuan was in charge of Changsha, the people loved him so much that they actually built a worship hall for him. It was destroyed and rebuilt several times, but the latest one still stands today.

So if you're in Changsha, you may find that interesting.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby jonathan_hili » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:40 pm

Jolt wrote:I might be heading to China in the coming months, and if I do so, I'll be sure to send you a PM over here.

It'll be great to do a few visits to the resting places of the heroes of old.

Definitely! Makes me nostalgic and aching to go back!
jonathan_hili
Tyro

Unread postby jonathan_hili » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:44 pm

Sun Fin wrote:
jonathan_hili wrote:

Thank you, those pictures are awesome!

It''s not s much the price as the new wife who has no interest in Chinese history and for whom this wouldn't be her idea of a holiday :lol:

Hehe! Neither does mine!
jonathan_hili
Tyro

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium