Three Kingdoms related sites in China

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Three Kingdoms related sites in China

Unread postby jonathan_hili » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:44 pm

DragonAtma wrote:According to Wikipedia, when Han Xuan was in charge of Changsha, the people loved him so much that they actually built a worship hall for him. It was destroyed and rebuilt several times, but the latest one still stands today.

So if you're in Changsha, you may find that interesting.

Thanks DA, I went to Changsha but couldn't find anything, so that's good to know for next time (hopefully).
jonathan_hili
Tyro

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:20 am

Sun Fin wrote:It''s not s much the price as the new wife who has no interest in Chinese history and for whom this wouldn't be her idea of a holiday :lol:

Just for fun, I told my fiancée about how I wanted to do this exact sort of trip when I was younger, with the intent of highlighting how my interest in doing so has faded over the years. But I never made it to the second part, she was like "Then let's go! We should do it!" I was floored because she has zero interest in this stuff.

I wouldn't mind zipping over to see whatever happens to be there if we were nearby, but I doubt we'll end up doing such a trip, it feels really time-consuming.

Speaking of...

jonathan_hili wrote:It isn't a particularly expensive trip and thankfully most of the sites are within taxi or bus distance of a major city.

I was surprised to read this comment. How did you get between the cities? Trains? I realize this was like 15 years ago and times have changed, but when I traveled there in 2002 I found it difficult to get around. They had this weird policy in place where foreigners had to go to a specified rail station in order to purchase train tickets. It was a little intimidating, haha.

I imagine to keep costs down, it becomes more time-intensive in the process, yeah?
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby jonathan_hili » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:02 am

Zyzyfer wrote:I was surprised to read this comment. How did you get between the cities? Trains? I realize this was like 15 years ago and times have changed, but when I traveled there in 2002 I found it difficult to get around. They had this weird policy in place where foreigners had to go to a specified rail station in order to purchase train tickets. It was a little intimidating, haha.

I imagine to keep costs down, it becomes more time-intensive in the process, yeah?

Mostly trains, though sometimes the long-distance coaches are more comfortable. I took a couple of flights but would not recommend the Chengdu-Xi'an flight; there was so much turbulence, people were screaming, cups were flying off the air stewardess's trolley, I really thought it was the end!

Everything's standardised now, with no special requirements for foreigners. You just need to show your passport when buying a ticket between cities (even then, I don't remember doing it all the time). I even pre-purchased tickets on-line and then collected them from a ticket booth (saves having to wait in those queues that are so long they put the Great Wall to shame).

I spent about four months tracking down all the places and ended up spending (including accommodation - usually 3-4 star, meals, transport, etc.) less than AUD $5,000.

It would be great to get a group together, especially if there are some of us who speak and read Mandarin proficiently. Would certainly keep costs down.
jonathan_hili
Tyro

Unread postby Rydain » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:24 am

I spent two weeks in China in November 2013. It was a group tour, which had its limitations and share of shopping stops, but it was an economical way to get into the country and totally worthwhile for the price. I visited Baidicheng on a Yangtze cruise shore excursion, and I saw Sun Quan's memorial at Purple Mountain in Nanjing.

Obligatory shot of the king and I:

Rydain
Assistant

Unread postby jonathan_hili » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:27 am

Rydain wrote:I spent two weeks in China in November 2013. It was a group tour, which had its limitations and share of shopping stops, but it was an economical way to get into the country and totally worthwhile for the price. I visited Baidicheng on a Yangtze cruise shore excursion, and I saw Sun Quan's memorial at Purple Mountain in Nanjing.

Obligatory shot of the king and I:

Nice shot! What did you think of the memorial? It's a great set-up, and such a beautiful location, not far from all those Ming tombs.
jonathan_hili
Tyro

Unread postby Rydain » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:01 am

Thank you! :D I very much enjoyed Sun Quan's memorial and its associated museum. The exhibits were all in Chinese, but I knew enough historical and legendary context to appreciate the various dioramas and displays. Our guide helped out with said context just in case we had been unaware. The gift shop had a good selection of Three Kingdoms merchandise, including a checkers set based on character designs from Dynasty Warriors 5. I totally would have bought that if the shop were still open. :(
Rydain
Assistant

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:38 pm

Thanks for the photo of the statue, glad you had fun Rydain
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby jonathan_hili » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:16 am

The location of Sun Quan's memorial at Zhongshan (Nanjing) is stunning. Quite a number of famous people, like Sun Yatsen, are buried in the vicinity.

Did you manage to visit any other places, Rydain?
jonathan_hili
Tyro

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium