Hair and facial hair?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Hair and facial hair?

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:30 pm

I'm sure I've seen discussions about this before but I can't find it now, I suspect it was all in the 3K question thread which is why I'm making a separate thread now - easier to find later.

Were men expected to grow there hair out? Same with facial hair, did people style it or was it considered unmanly to shave/trim?
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Hair and facial hair?

Unread postby DragonAtma » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:03 pm

Their body -- including their hair -- was considered a gift from their ancestors. As a result, even trimming would be an insult to their ancestors.

That's why all men had a full beard and long hair (if possible) , and forced shaving was considered a punishment.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby capnnerefir » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:18 am

This is also why historical records made a big deal about someone having a particularly full beard (like Taishi Ci) - it was seen as a mark of virtue and distinction.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:22 am

capnnerefir wrote:This is also why historical records made a big deal about someone having a particularly full beard (like Taishi Ci) - it was seen as a mark of virtue and distinction.

And also makes all the bishonen types in the ROTK/DW games running around all the more hilarious.

#returnthebeardofTaishiCiKoei
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:01 am

Ah thank you, now you say that it does ring a bell! :lol:

Poor Taishi Ci!

Do you know if the tribes took a similar approach?
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby danuracula » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:09 am

Why eunuchs are forbidden to have facial hairs?

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
"He who wins people, prospers; he who loses them, fails. Your present plan should be to seek humans of high aims and farseeing views, and you can establish yourself firmly."
danuracula
Apprentice

Unread postby ivolga » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:06 am

danuracula wrote:Why eunuchs are forbidden to have facial hairs?

They weren't forbidden - it was biologically impossible (in most cases): facial hair growth is caused by testosterone - a hormone eunuch's organism can no longer produce.

If castrated before puberty, facial hair never grow, voice remains high and height may be taller than average. If castration happens after puberty, and a person already has a beard - usually it falls out completely or gets significantly thinner. Also, since male pattern alopecia is caused by testosterone, eunuchs didn't suffer from it.
ivolga
Apprentice

Unread postby danuracula » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:22 am

ivolga wrote:
danuracula wrote:Why eunuchs are forbidden to have facial hairs?

They weren't forbidden - it was biologically impossible (in most cases): facial hair growth is caused by testosterone - a hormone eunuch's organism can no longer produce.

If castrated before puberty, facial hair never grow, voice remains high and height may be taller than average. If castration happens after puberty, and a person already has a beard - usually it falls out completely or gets significantly thinner. Also, since male pattern alopecia is caused by testosterone, eunuchs didn't suffer from it.

Now i know.. thanks!

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
"He who wins people, prospers; he who loses them, fails. Your present plan should be to seek humans of high aims and farseeing views, and you can establish yourself firmly."
danuracula
Apprentice

Unread postby Aaron.K » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:27 pm

Sun Fin wrote:I'm sure I've seen discussions about this before but I can't find it now, I suspect it was all in the 3K question thread which is why I'm making a separate thread now - easier to find later.

Were men expected to grow there hair out? Same with facial hair, did people style it or was it considered unmanly to shave/trim?

Men were expected to grow their hair and facial hair out if they were physically able to. That's one of the reasons why beards were such a distinction as capnnerefir mentioned. But it's also to do with the fact that men who could grow beards would likely have been rather rare, and I presume that those who had impressive beards by Chinese standards might have been exaggerated in regards to visual depictions. I doubt Guan Yu's beard was as thick as it's often portrayed, unless of course he had a different ethnic background through his ancestors which could have possibly allowed such a thing.
"Why have you come to Jotunheim all alone?"
Aaron.K
Master

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:02 pm

So whilst men didn't shave ethnically the ability to grow proper beards wasn't that common? Does that mean that many men would have ended up with wispy bits?
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium