Liu Bei's invasion of Yi

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Liu Bei's invasion of Yi

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:28 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Liu Bei may also have been, like Yi Ling, trying to build bonds with new officers and blood them. Some will have had expirence in Jing and so more about testing them+winning them over, others would need the expirence. If he fought Zhang Lu, that helps but if he doesn't, well he is taking on Liu Zhang.

So I can understand this but even so I think I'd want one person I knew had served me a while and had proved their loyalty. Although I guess Liu Feng's fate as adopted son was rather bound up to that of Bei's so if nothing else he was going to remain loyal.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Re: Liu Bei's invasion of Yi

Unread postby DragonAtma » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:35 pm

On a late note, I should add that northern Yi's natural defenses were:
* Mountains on the eastern edge.
* Mountains on the northern edge.
* Mountains on the western edge.
* Mountains as the southern, sparsely-inhabited half of Yi.

The whole central chunk of northern Yi was plains with minor hills -- and since Liu Bei had been invited in to help fight Zhang Lu, he was past those mountains and onto the plains, which had few natural defenses. Yews, technically Liu Bei had been sent into Yi's northern mountains to fight Zhang Lu, but there were only two main passes between him and the capital -- Jiameng Pass (where Liu Bei was given permission to set up his "anti-Zhang Lu" army) and Baishui pass (where Yang Huai and Gao Pei were executed). From then onwards, the path was easy terrain.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium