They need a Wu tv series

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: They need a Wu tv series

Unread postby solemio » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:21 am

The problem is, more people read SGYY than SGZ. And Luo Guanzhong was such a fan of Shu that he made up negative characters for even the most perfect man, that is, Zhou Yu. On contrast, Liu Bei was said to be a "very kind man" although he always deserted his wives and children. :shock: That's why there are less fans of Wu.
P.S. Few knows that it was Sun Quan instead of Zhuge Liang who borrowed arrows from Cao Cao. In fact, Zhuge Liang didn't do much during the Redcliff.
You bloomed like a burning rose and exhausted my heart, which hence can bear nothing but weeds.
solemio
Tyro

Unread postby DragonAtma » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:09 am

It;'s not Luo Guanzhong who was pro-Shu, it was his emperor who was pro-Shu -- which didn't give him much of a choice. After all, Zhu Yuanzhong (founder of the Ming dynasty) was originally a peasant, just like Liu Bang and Liu Bei.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:25 am

Frankly, we just need more English language 3K media in general, whether that is Wu-centric or not in my opinion.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby greencactaur » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:28 am

Unfortunately like how everyone else has stated before me the draw towards Shu is a lot more powerful than Wu. Liu Bei was a shoe maker, who ended up becoming emperor. He also had imperial blood supposedly. Wei has Cao Cao's extremely successful career, starting as a politician, and going on to create an empire that conquered half of China. Wu on the other hand just isn't as interesting. Sun Jian dies, Sun Ce tries to regain his legacy as Sun Jians son. He conquers the south western part of China, but than dies. Sun Quan is basically handed over the territory. While he was a good administrator majority of his career was playing defensive. He just doesn't have much going for him. After his death Wu basically destroys itself.
greencactaur
Academic

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:21 pm

I don't think anyone in the thread actually stated that? Most were quite pleased with the idea of a Wu centred show. More that Liu Bei had cultural appeal
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Xu Yuan » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:14 pm

greencactaur wrote:Unfortunately like how everyone else has stated before me the draw towards Shu is a lot more powerful than Wu. Liu Bei was a shoe maker, who ended up becoming emperor. He also had imperial blood supposedly. Wei has Cao Cao's extremely successful career, starting as a politician, and going on to create an empire that conquered half of China. Wu on the other hand just isn't as interesting. Sun Jian dies, Sun Ce tries to regain his legacy as Sun Jians son. He conquers the south western part of China, but than dies. Sun Quan is basically handed over the territory. While he was a good administrator majority of his career was playing defensive. He just doesn't have much going for him. After his death Wu basically destroys itself.

The Sun's are entertainment incarnate. Sun Jian comes from nothing, as I mentioned on the last page he had some great birth portents (especially the "Marquises for generations or Emperors for a short period") one, I love that kind of foreshadowing. From there we can go through Sun Jian's early life fighting pirates, tangling with mystics (Hu Yu and Xu Chang in particular), to Sun Jian at the Yellow Turban Rebellion, then assisting Zhang Wen in the West against the Qiang, meeting Dong Zhuo. The interesting story of Lady Wu and how her family didn't want her married to Sun Jian, but she convinced them its for the best. Sun Jian's killing of the two Administrators on his way to the coalition. His service under Yuan Shu, his actual breaking through Dong Zhuo's defenses and getting in to Luo Yang. (play novelwise here if they'd like with Yuan Shu betraying Sun Jian). Sun Jian finding the Imperial Seal and quitting the coalition only to be stopped by Liu Biao. Then the return and eventual death of Sun Jian...

And this was all just Sun Jian! Each of these scenarios could easily be turned into full length episodes, if not longer for some of them. Sun Jian has a rich cast around him as well, Cheng Pu, Zhu Zhi, Han Dang, Huang Gai, and Zu Mao along with a host of other characters.

I assume it would fall into five or six parts.

1. Sun Jian
2. Sun Ce/Yuan Shu
3. Sun Quan Pre Chi Bi
4. Sun Quan Post Chi Bi
5. Sun Quan's declining mental state
6. Court Intrigue of the Regents
7. Sun Hao and the Fall of Wu (with a healthy dose of Lu Kang and Yang Hu, along with a bit of Sima Yan I'd assume)

There is so much untapped potential here. Of all the Three Kingdoms Wu had the most unstable path to its rise. Liu Bei never lost sight of his goal and though he was beat time and again he always got back up. Wu was always facing some issue or another that even though they had a state it was never a great picture of stability until the middle of Quan's reign then with his death that hard-fought stability begins to collapse.
As you know security
is mortal's greatest enemy.

SimRTK is back up in a testing phase! Go ahead and give it a look over on the Simzhou forum branch.

http://simrtk.net/index.php
Xu Yuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:26 pm

Sun Ce and Zhou Yu are tragic heroes incarnate with their great talent, marriage to the Qiao's, brotherly relationship and early deaths. They would make an awesome centre point of a TV show.

I do agree with you that culturally they get shafted as being neither the novel protagonists or the kingdom that eventually won (or at least were suceeded by the one that did).
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:39 am

greencactaur wrote: Wu on the other hand just isn't as interesting. Sun Jian dies, Sun Ce tries to regain his legacy as Sun Jians son. He conquers the south western part of China, but than dies. Sun Quan is basically handed over the territory. While he was a good administrator majority of his career was playing defensive. He just doesn't have much going for him. After his death Wu basically destroys itself.

Hmm, do you mean Sun Ce tries to avenge his father maybe? Sun Jian's legacy was cemented during the coalition. He doesn't lose that after his death. Just as Sun Ce created his own that even surpassed his fathers.
With a synopsis like that I think it's safe to pencil you down as uninterested. Even if you want ignore Sun Jian in the story of Wu, there is enough action, drama, romance and intrigue to make at least a fascinating mini series. Lu Xun's story alone is film worthy imo.
They completely transformed that region of China. They explored the islands in the East(even Ryukyu supposedly). Subjugated the southern tribes. Of course corruption and incompetence was eventually their downfall but not before leaving their mark that lasts to the present day.

Viewing the 3 Kingdoms as Wei, Shu and a couple of other guys is trying a little too hard to minimize their contribution.

Sun Fin wrote:Frankly, we just need more English language 3K media in general, whether that is Wu-centric or not in my opinion.

Completely agree with this.
Sakae Wu
Initiate

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:54 am

Even leaving aside culture and popularity, one can see why one would go for Liu Bei. Poor poor (over-exaggerated) sandle-weaver to Emperor, one can play the Han loyalist card or a man using it for his gain card, the innocent good man or the ruthless political operative bargaining and playing his weak hand to earn breathing space. One has his great end with the three brothers dying one by one. Shu's story has problems after that, it is annoying stably on the home front (Liu Shan may had an affair and by other kingdoms standards, even the Jiang Wei stuff is tame) so it relies on battles and a few big personalities like Zhuge Liang, Wei Yan, Jiang Wei.

Wei has Cao Cao, his rise, his brilliance, his strong personality. His epic battles, the great personalities as friends and foes internal and external, his court can address some of the big issues of the time like Han loyalty. Not sure about after Cao Pi ascends, the emperor's are intresting and some big personalities but the big battles are defeats or defensive and the internal chaos... they could do a big build up of Neo-Doaists vs Confucians, of running tensions beneath the surface exploding in Sima Yi vs Cao Shuang. Then Dowager Guo vs Sima's

With Wu, there is Sun Jian, the story of Sun Ce the talent that died before we got to see it's full potential. Maybe with Sun Quan they might choose to be limited with the battles but Wu can last on the internal politics, the very strong personalities, it's transforming history and it's land with a few setpeices like Chi Bi. It also has the best end from Quan's struggles with age and weakening power, Zhuge Ke, Sun regents, Sun Liang, Sun Hao, maybe need to rush through Sun Xiu's annoying stable period.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium