if you were born in The Three Kingdoms Era

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: if you were born in The Three Kingdoms Era

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:32 am

Why the eyeroll after Shu?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby yevonsama » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:51 am

find a good place in the South to grow my clan. After I died, I tell me that: " Jin will soon fell, the Winter are coming. That will be our golden age, my son. ". :lol:
yevonsama
Apprentice

Unread postby greencactaur » Fri May 27, 2016 11:59 pm

Realistically? I would probably die of hunger or illness

in a dream scenario? I would serve Liu bei from the beginning to the end. Even if it meant my life!
greencactaur
Academic

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat May 28, 2016 11:55 am

greencactaur wrote: Even if it meant my life!

Why are you willing to die for him? With the exception of possibly those from Southern China and Wu, I can't see why anyone would want to throw their lives away for any of the main warlords in the civil war. This is not a situation where there is a great cause like some civil wars, this is ambitious warlord vs ambitious warlord
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Sat May 28, 2016 1:50 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:
greencactaur wrote: Even if it meant my life!

Why are you willing to die for him? With the exception of possibly those from Southern China and Wu, I can't see why anyone would want to throw their lives away for any of the main warlords in the civil war. This is not a situation where there is a great cause like some civil wars, this is ambitious warlord vs ambitious warlord

Your much more likely to be remembered for thousands of years if you give your life heroically to one of the main warlords. Very few people care about the valiant general who served Kong Rong, but people remember Fu Rong whose only recorded act in history is to die for Liu Bei :P
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun May 29, 2016 8:15 am

If greencactaur is seeking immortality by death in battle and would prefer it under Liu Bei then I can see that (though life is more fun :wink: ). It is a gamble though as to what death becomes immortalized and what deaths get forgotten over time, even among the big kingdoms
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby greencactaur » Sun May 29, 2016 10:14 am

I live for loyalty and honor :D. I Know that in reality, the whole honor and loyalty thing is romanticized in the novel, but my heart and spirit demands to serve someone loyally. I rather die, helping a my master with a cause, then to see another person rule. I know that thought process is outdated/a romantic dream, but it's just who I am :P.
greencactaur
Academic

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Sun May 29, 2016 1:37 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:If greencactaur is seeking immortality by death in battle and would prefer it under Liu Bei then I can see that (though life is more fun :wink: ). It is a gamble though as to what death becomes immortalized and what deaths get forgotten over time, even among the big kingdoms

You need cool death phrase, Fu Rong "A true Han general would never surrender to the dogs of Wu" will always be an awesome line! :lol: :P
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon May 30, 2016 8:59 am

greencactaur wrote:I live for loyalty and honor :D. I Know that in reality, the whole honor and loyalty thing is romanticized in the novel, but my heart and spirit demands to serve someone loyally. I rather die, helping a my master with a cause, then to see another person rule. I know that thought process is outdated/a romantic dream, but it's just who I am :P.

Loyalty and honour aren't old fashioned, it is has evolved (there aren't much calls for heroic last stands if you live in much of the west nowadays). Sometimes it is a good thing, sometimes (political loyalties based on "family has always voted for") is a bad thing. Past system of loyalty and honour do get romanticized and twisted though.

So you would rather die then let another win? Why? What is this cause he has that is strong that it comes above everything else, your family, friends, the people of Liu Bei's lands, China itself? Let alone whoever is going to be hurt by your death (depending on the method). If you seek a cause worth dying for then seek it but surely one should make it a really good cause not "yet another ambitious warlord"? Or better yet, find a cause worthy dedicating the rest of your life too and hope you never have to die for it :wink:

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:
You need cool death phrase, Fu Rong "A true Han general would never surrender to the dogs of Wu" will always be an awesome line! :lol: :P

Zhang Yi should have gone for something pity rather then a letter to Liu Shan, that was his mistake :wink:
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby greencactaur » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:25 pm

To be honest, the reason might seem dumb, but to have someone acknowledge me, and make use of me, makes me feel a sense of belong, and that is a kindness, that I feel I'd repay no matter what. That's just me though. :mrgreen:
greencactaur
Academic

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium