Did Guan Yu ever do anything noteworthy?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Did Guan Yu ever do anything noteworthy?

Unread postby Frankel » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:47 am

In the TV series he really peed me off towards the end, I hold him largely responsible for Shu's demise.
Frankel
Tyro

Unread postby Xu Yuan » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:43 am

The TV series went over the top with Guan Yu (along with the Emperor, gah! What a disgrace to his memory). Nowhere in the novel and certainly nowhere in history did it show Guan Yu as being so arrogant as saying that he would kill his (adopted) son to embark on an impossible mission. I posted a link earlier in this topic to the analysis of Dr. Rafe De Crespigny on the situation in Jing which should help spell out the situation in a much better way than the TV series did.
As you know security
is mortal's greatest enemy.

SimRTK is back up in a testing phase! Go ahead and give it a look over on the Simzhou forum branch.

http://simrtk.net/index.php
Xu Yuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ouyang_Feng » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:27 pm

Historically.. no. Haha.. he only killed Yan Liang and most likely in a surprise attack, not a duel or anything like that. And he did a good job too in build consider able power in Jing despite many mistake he made
Ouyang_Feng
Assistant

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:24 pm

Ouyang_Feng wrote:Historically.. no. Haha.. he only killed Yan Liang and most likely in a surprise attack, not a duel or anything like that. And he did a good job too in build consider able power in Jing despite many mistake he made

Please don't be so dismissive of things with a laugh, claim to draw upon history and then make something up. The records are quite clear. It was no ambush. Guan Yu charged through the Yuan army, cut his head off and was able to escape without being stopped.

[Yuán] Shào sent his chief General Yán Liáng to attack Administrator of Dōng prefecture Liú Yán at Báimǎ, and Excellency Cáo sent Zhāng Liáo and Yǔ as the vanguard to attack him. Yǔ saw [Yán] Liáng’s banner and chariot canopy, urged his horse onward and stabbed Liáng in the midst of the army, chopped off the head and returned, and among all of Shào’s officers none could stop him, and so the siege of Báimǎ was relieved. Excellency Cáo at once memorialized to give Yǔ fief as Marquis of Hànshòu precinct.
"To triumph without fighting is the greatest enterprise of the sovereign. Better to capture a state intact than to wreck it; better to capture an army complete than to destroy it. These are the principles of warfare."
— Zhong Hui
DaoLunOfShiji
Langzhong

Unread postby Ouyang_Feng » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:30 pm

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:
Ouyang_Feng wrote:Historically.. no. Haha.. he only killed Yan Liang and most likely in a surprise attack, not a duel or anything like that. And he did a good job too in build consider able power in Jing despite many mistake he made

Please don't be so dismissive of things with a laugh, claim to draw upon history and then make something up. The records are quite clear. It was no ambush. Guan Yu charged through the Yuan army, cut his head off and was able to escape without being stopped.

[Yuán] Shào sent his chief General Yán Liáng to attack Administrator of Dōng prefecture Liú Yán at Báimǎ, and Excellency Cáo sent Zhāng Liáo and Yǔ as the vanguard to attack him. Yǔ saw [Yán] Liáng’s banner and chariot canopy, urged his horse onward and stabbed Liáng in the midst of the army, chopped off the head and returned, and among all of Shào’s officers none could stop him, and so the siege of Báimǎ was relieved. Excellency Cáo at once memorialized to give Yǔ fief as Marquis of Hànshòu precinct.

Okay sorry i didn't re-checked about that, i didn't remember everything that happened. I'll re-checked everything next time
Ouyang_Feng
Assistant

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:16 pm

I don't think daolun minded the error (we all make them), it is the hahaha that comes across as dismissive of what the other person said in the wrong context. I'm sure you don't mean it that way but it is the way such things can come across when countering or disagreeing with another
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Ouyang_Feng » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:54 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:I don't think daolun minded the error (we all make them), it is the hahaha that comes across as dismissive of what the other person said in the wrong context. I'm sure you don't mean it that way but it is the way such things can come across when countering or disagreeing with another

I was trying to lighten up, i think.. this forum is too serious. But well.. if that's the nature of this forum then i'll stop laughing and let's get stiff and serious all the time
Ouyang_Feng
Assistant

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:07 pm

You can joke around in the forum (subject to avoiding it being spamming), we do have plenty of lighthearted discussions but we tend to try to avoid mocking each other's views which is how hahaha when countering someone comes across
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium