Quan Family Tree

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Quan Family Tree

Unread postby capnnerefir » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:43 pm

I'm trying to get a better grip on the sprawling family tree of the Wu's Quan family. Here's what I have so far.

1st Generation:
  • Quan2 Rou2 (全柔): the earliest recorded member of the Quan family. Father of Quan Zong/Cong and others.
2nd Generation:
  • Quan2 Zong2 (全琮): One of Sun Quan's most trusted generals. He became extremely powerful in Wu and was eventually Grand Commander. He was originally married to an unnamed daughter of Sun Quan, and then to Sun Luban.
  • Quan 1: A brother of Quan Zong. He was the father of Quan Shang, and possibly others.
  • Quan 2: Possibly the same as Quan 1. Quan Zong is listed as having many nephews in addition to Quan Shang, including Duan, Bian, and Qi.
3rd Generation:
  • Quan2 Xu4 (全緒): Eldest son of Quan Zong. His mother was one of Sun Quan's daughters, though her name is unrecorded. He was famous in his youth. He fought at Shaopo but was outdone by Zhang Xiu and Gu Cheng. He later slandered them and caused them to be exiled. He became General Who Guards the North (zhēngbĕi jiāngjūn 征北將軍). During the battle at Lake Chao, he joined Ding Feng in the vanguard and earned victory over Sima Zhao's forces. He died at the age of 44.
  • Quan2 Ji4 (全寄): Son of Quan Zong. Known as a man of intrigue, he was one of Sun Ba's chief allies and conspirators. He was executed for this conspiracy in 250.
  • Quan2 Yi4 (全懌):Son of Quan Zong and Sun Luban. He was a general and Quan Zong's heir. In 257, he was sent to Shouchun to reinforce Zhuge Dan. However, he defected to Wei and was made General who Subdues the East (píngdōng jiāngjūn 平東將軍) and Marquis of Linxiang.
  • Quan2 Wu2 (全吳): The youngest son of Quan Zong and Sun Luban, he was eventually made Marquis of Duxiang.
  • Quan2 Duan1 (全端): A nephew of Quan Zong. His father's name is unrecorded, though he was probably not the same man as Quan Shang's father. He fought at Shaopo but was outdone by Zhang Xiu and Gu Cheng. He later slandered them and caused them to be exiled. In 253, Zhuge Ke appointed him to guard one of the fortresses at Lake Chao. He followed his cousin Quan Yi to reinforce Zhuge Dan in 257, and he defected to Wei along with Quan Yi.
  • Quan2 Pian1 (全翩): Quan Duan's younger brother. He followed his brother to Shouchun and defected to Wei.
  • Quan2 Qi/Ji1 (全緝 ): Quan Duan's younger brother. He followed his brother to Shouchun and defected to Wei.
4th Generation:
  • Quan2 Jing4 (全靜): He was the nephew of Quan Yi ; his father was either Quan2 Xu4 (全緒) or Quan2 Ji4 (全寄) He was the older brother of Quan Hui and Quan Yi (Quan I). He followed his uncle Quan Yi to Shouchun as a commander. With his uncle, he defected to Wei. He had four brothers who also surrendered to Wei with him, though this might include Quan Hui and Quan I.
  • Quan2 Hui1(全輝) : The younger brother of Quan2 Jing4 (全靜). He was involved in a family quarrel in Jianye and fled to Wei, along with his mother and "several tens of households". Wei sources give his name as Quan2 Hui1(全輝), though Wu sources name him Quan2 Yi1 全禕. One of these is miswritten, though we cannot conclude which one. We have chosen to assume that Quan2 Hui1(全輝) is correct in order to help distinguish him from his siblings.
  • Quan2 I2 (全儀): The younger brother of Quan2 Jing4 (全靜) and Quan2 Hui1(全輝). He was involved in a family quarrel in Jianye and fled to Wei, along with his mother and "several tens of households". His name is properly written as Quan Yi, but Quan I is preferred to differentiate him from his relatives.

Unknown
  • Quan2 Shang4 (全尚): A nephew of Quan Zong. Some records say he was Zong's grand-nephew. His father's name is unrecorded. He was married to the sister of Sun Jun, and his daughter (Huijie) married Sun Liang. He rose to high rank in Wu. He plotted with Liang and Sun Luban to oust Sun Chen/Lin, but when their plans were discovered, he was exiled, then executed. 3rd or 4th generation.
  • Quan2 Xi1 (全熙): In 253, he was sent to attack Zhuge Ke's brother, Zhuge Rong. In 257, he followed his relatives to reinforce Zhuge Dan. He plotted to surrender to Wei but was discovered and killed. This prompted many of his relatives to defect to Wei. 3rd or 4th generation.
  • Quan2 Ji4 (全紀): Son of Quan Shang, brother-in-law of Sun Liang and nephew of Sun Jun. He was one of Sun Liang's most trusted aides and conspired with him to overthrow Sun Chen/Lin. 4th or 5th generation.
  • Quan2 Hui4jie3 (全惠解): Daughter of Quan Shang and Lady Sun (Sun Jun's sister), she married Sun Liang and became his empress. When Sun Liang was deposed, she followed him into exile. Some records blame her for Sun Liang's plot being exposed, but more reliable sources place the blame on another woman. 4th or 5th generation.
Last edited by capnnerefir on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Quan Family Tree

Unread postby FoxWithWings » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:07 am

I'm impressed, how did you find all of this?
"There's no one I'd rather be, than me" -Ralph
FoxWithWings
Master

Unread postby capnnerefir » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:48 pm

Mostly poking through the ZZTJ and keeping careful track of any Quan-s I saw. I also combed through Quan Zong's SGZ as best as I could, which mentions most of them. More are mentioned in Empress Quan's SGZ. There are some I'm not sure about, though. There were about 4 or 5 different Quan Yi-s, and I'm not sure how many of them are different from Quan Hui and Quan I mentioned below. And while the ZZZTJ said that one of the Quan Duan-s mentioned was Quan Zong's son (the other being his nephew), I suspect that both are the same person and that nephew is the correct relationship (since Zong's SGZ mentions Xu, Ji, Yi, and Wu but not Duan). Someone who is better with the name characters could probably help to clear things up, but I'm not having much luck tracking down the characters for some of the names.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:20 am

I'm going to be honest and say that I could never keep track of all the Quan Yis myself. I should have probably looked at the tones to see if I could use that to differentiate them (with numbers).
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TigerTally » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:24 am

Hey guys long time no see. Real life matters caught me agagin.

And back to the topic, here are the Chinese characters as well as some corrections:

1st generation
-Quan2 Rou2 全柔

2nd generation
-Quan2 Cong2 全琮

2nd or 3rd generation
-Quan2 Shang4 全尚, known as Quan Zong's grandnephew instead of nephew in some sources.

3rd generation
-Quan2 Xu4 全緒
-Quan2 Ji4 全寄
-Quan2 Yi4 全懌
-Quan2 Wu2 全吳
-Quan2 Duan1 全端 (Both Quan Duan are the same person. RoTK changed him into a son of Quan Zong.)
-Quan2 Pian1 全翩
-Quan2 Qi1 / Quan2 Ji1 全緝

4th generation
-Quan2 Jing4 全靜, son of Quan2 Xu4 全緒 or Quan2 Ji4 全寄
-Quan2 Hui1 全輝 in Wei source, Quan2 Yi1 全禕 in Wu source (seems to be a miswritten Quan2 Hui1 全褘; if not then we have three Quan Yi), son of Quan2 Xu4 全緒
-Quan2 Yi2 全儀 , son of Quan2 Xu4 全緒
-Quan2 Ji4 全紀 (could be 5th generation if Quan Shang is a grandnephew of Quan Zong)
-Quan2 Hui4jie3 全惠解 (same as above)

unknown (2nd-4th) generation
-Quan2 Xi1 全熙, attacked Zhuge Ke's younger brother Zhuge Rong 諸葛融 in 253 , was sent to reinforce Zhuge Da in 257, wanted to surrender as well but was discovered and killed.
TigerTally
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby capnnerefir » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:46 pm

Thanks, TigerTally. I've updated the original list to reflect your information, as well as a few other bits and pieces I picked up since writing the initial list.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TigerTally » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:31 pm

The last Quan2 Ji4 should be 全紀, at least in SGZ. I don't have ZZTJ with me.
TigerTally
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby capnnerefir » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:44 pm

Ah, my mistake. Should be corrected now.

Maybe I should make a chart or something...
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium